Convert your tables to InnoDB

Started by [Unknown], September 20, 2005, 04:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua Dickerson

You could ask your host to enable InnoDB. Or, like you said, move hosts.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

008Rohit

@ Joshua

Normal support staffs of iPage know nothing about MySQL, They say "Our advanced technical support person will contact you" everytime. :(
I wanted someone's VPS, as I cant afford to buy one myself atm. but noone is willing to share their VPS with me.
TechTage Forum - Vintage Technology - on MDDHosting - CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered - MDDHosting Review

Joshua Dickerson

That's sad. I definitely would not be using a host that didn't know how to enable InnoDB.

naikvarda

This is really nice information related to the conversion.

008Rohit

Quote from: Joshua Dickerson on April 24, 2011, 03:58:34 PM
That's sad. I definitely would not be using a host that didn't know how to enable InnoDB.
I asked them today to enable InnoDB tables. and their advanced technical support person replied after an hour saying that InnoDB is not supported on their server...
Even status.php cant track their MySQL processes or Processor information. :(
TechTage Forum - Vintage Technology - on MDDHosting - CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered - MDDHosting Review

Joshua Dickerson

I would definitely change hosts.

Realinfo

"You have to choose at least one column to display"

I got this message........

Realinfo

Quote from: Realinfo on October 14, 2012, 01:06:45 AM
"You have to choose at least one column to display"

I got this message........

Bump

madfiddler

Hi,

Having made these database changes to InnoDB - I now get this error whenever trying to post

Unknown column 'log_time' in 'where clause'
File: /xxx/xxx/public_html/fiddleforum/Sources/Subs.php
Line: 3110

madfiddler

Fixed it by running upgrade.php again

madfiddler

Ok, these errors go away when running upgrade, however if I do a database optimise, it comes back.

I tried converting the settings table back to MyIASM and get this

ALTER TABLE x_settings
ENGINE=MyIASM;# MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows).

Biology Forums

I just did this conversion on my website, and I've noticed a speed difference. Thank you for the suggestion.

Arantor

Good job using 9 year old advice without checking if it's still relevant...

Biology Forums

Well, it's worth a try. If you make the appropriate backups prior to trying, and if things go wrong, you can always go back... So why the smite? No one gave me an instructional manual on how to run a forum, I'm learning as I go. If you don't have any constructive criticism for us, then get lost, otherwise play nice.

- http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=496086.0

Arantor

Because this is lacking a number of tables, lacking a good number of enhancements and taking advice from a 9 year old topic as gospel is a bad idea.

Just because it doesn't have any consequences *now* doesn't mean there won't be consequences in the future. Also, I *really* hope you didn't touch smf_boards or smf_categories in your conversion.

Also, 'smite', really? You really don't know me very well by now, do you? I treat everything in black and white as it is presented to me. 9 year old advice, written for SMF years ago, for a totally different version of MySQL... it could have all kinds of consequences, which you might not find out until too late.

Fine, you don't want my advice, I can manage that.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Arantor on June 04, 2014, 05:01:40 PMJust because it doesn't have any consequences *now* doesn't mean there won't be consequences in the future. Also, I *really* hope you didn't touch smf_boards or smf_categories in your conversion.

Those boards weren't designed for innoDB, you'd need to alter some table attributes. I didn't change those.

I get your mannerism, but sometimes it comes across as smug, especially with your vast amount of knowledge in this field. From an educators standpoint, your way of approaching questions (from students, like myself) would never work in a classroom - not that it matters here.

Advertisement: