Re: Import database = problem with coding

Started by jediknight182, April 23, 2013, 02:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jediknight182

Hello. I have similar problem, with characters "bushes", on my forum. I successfully installed the newest version of smf [SMF 2.0.4]
So I can write with polish characters, and everything works fine, but the posts, topics and users, that have been converted from the old phpBB2 by przemo, using the current converter [2013.04.08], have this missing characters. I did already tried, the forum maintenance, with converting database to utf 8. I have installed two languages: default English and polish-utf8. Switching between doesn't helps. Apart of manual, "modification" of each post and rewriting them what else I can do? Please help :)

Kindred

jedi... please do no hijack a topic which was 4 years old and was not even related to the same smf version.

split and moved to the correct spot
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jediknight182

Im really sorry, I was trying be polite and didn't want to make another topic.

But I still have problem. Thats the forum i have problem with: hxxp:asgbezgranic.cba.pl/ForumSMF/index.php [nonactive]

MrPhil

What is a "bush"? Are you referring to a "?-in-black-diamond" symbol? That says that it's an invalid character in UTF-8 (most likely an unconverted Latin-x accented/non-ASCII character). Or are you seeing a group of two or more accented Latin alphabet characters instead of an expected single character? Have you checked that your database is UTF-8 everywhere? Is your page displaying in UTF-8 or Latin-1? If you converted to UTF-8, all your language packs (including English) must be changed to the *-utf8 version.

The moderators get upset when someone reopens an old topic, especially if it's already marked "closed". They tend to ignore topics marked "closed".

jediknight182

I'm referring to this kind of characters: " ³ ¶ ± " instead those: " ś ć ź ż ł " My page is displaying only utf8. It has been installed in such manner from beginning. The problem occur after bringing via conversion from phpbb posts/topics. I don't have anymore original source (the phpbb has been deleted). I also want to point out fact that when I WRITE a new stuff to forum is no problem with " ś ć ź ż ł ", just the text from old forum is broken.
So what I can do?

Storman™

I'll let someone else give a definitive answer but from what you say I have a feeling you've gone past the stage where this can be corrected, especially as you now seem to have a mixture of both types of characters in the same tables.

croboy

I had problem with characters and wrote about it in
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=501763.0;topicseen

Check what you have in settings.php

If it is db_character_set = 'utf-8' try to change it to  db_character_set = 'utf-8'
I know you have fresh SMF 2.0 but it might help.

MrPhil

So those characters " ś ć ź ż ł " were typed in as Latin-2 or some other non-UTF-8 encoding, and didn't get properly converted to UTF-8 when you converted your forum to UTF-8? They must have been converted to UTF-8, or you'd be getting the "invalid character" glyph. Just they were converted incorrectly. Maybe. I would think you could use phpMyAdmin to convert these characters one-by-one with SQL UPDATE queries.

Advertisement: