News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Create New Category error

Started by 24baed464f, May 15, 2013, 09:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

24baed464f

Quote from: Arantor on May 16, 2013, 10:22:51 AM
QuoteI wanted someone to log into my board and see it for themselves but, the Mods around here thought it was me and not the install!

I logged in with the test account you gave me, even though I don't normally do any kind of support by PM, I even admitted and agreed with you that there is a problem and that it isn't you.

There is an issue on your server, that's obvious enough, but the fact that it isn't *everyone* getting it, it's just your server getting is means there isn't an issue with the base SMF code. Which is what I've been saying all along.

When I do give you suggestions you do something different and complain bitterly that it didn't work, so that's it from me, no more help.

Thank you for your help!
We found the problem - The script was just tripping a mod_security rule. We whilelisted it for your site and now all is well.
Please post this tread up so if someone else is having this issue, this can help!
All is well and thank you for your help, it was my server not SMF.
Have a great day guys!!!!!

You can mark this solved!

mashby

Wonderful. Great observation K@ and thanks for your time, Arantor. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Kindred

I have two observations to add to this thread, for anyone who reads it in the future.

1- don't be so quick to blame SMF software... and don't let your host pass it off either.  SMF has been running on millions of sites for years - if you think you are seeing something unsual - do a search - if you still can't find anything, the chances are that there is some complication or misconfiguration on your side or your host's settings. (this is not to say that SMF is bug free... but, by this time, we're all pretty familiar with what the bugs in the 2.0.x series actually are)

2- When someone on the support team, or even someone else who is knowledgeable is giving you suggestions - it is a good idea to work with them and follow those suggestions rather than randomly going off on your own. We've been doing this for a long time, and there is a definite process in debugging a wierd issue. Eliminate the probable, then the improbable...  randomly deleting or changing things outside of the process only delays getting to the actual help/fix.   --- and blaming others quickly uses up any of the helpful thoughts they may have had toward you.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

3 - Mod_security is a pain in the proverbial arse/ass/donkey/mule.

24baed464f

Quote from: Kindred on May 16, 2013, 10:58:48 AM
I have two observations to add to this thread, for anyone who reads it in the future.

1- don't be so quick to blame SMF software... and don't let your host pass it off either.  SMF has been running on millions of sites for years - if you think you are seeing something unsual - do a search - if you still can't find anything, the chances are that there is some complication or misconfiguration on your side or your host's settings. (this is not to say that SMF is bug free... but, by this time, we're all pretty familiar with what the bugs in the 2.0.x series actually are)

2- When someone on the support team, or even someone else who is knowledgeable is giving you suggestions - it is a good idea to work with them and follow those suggestions rather than randomly going off on your own. We've been doing this for a long time, and there is a definite process in debugging a wierd issue. Eliminate the probable, then the improbable...  randomly deleting or changing things outside of the process only delays getting to the actual help/fix.   --- and blaming others quickly uses up any of the helpful thoughts they may have had toward you.

Wasn't blaming anyone, I was trying to find answers to my problem!
I went thru all the progressions before posting my question to this forum.

Googled, went thru the install (two times) and racked my brain.

Most of the time someone else have the same problem and I look for the fix that way.

My problem is a real issue for SMF, just because it hash't happen before does not meant it not a problem!

This is over, thank you for your help and please leave this thread up so someone can find it.

kat

Quote from: 24baed464f on May 16, 2013, 11:10:40 AMplease leave this thread up so someone can find it.

We always do. :)

Arantor

QuoteMy problem is a real issue for SMF, just because it hash't happen before does not meant it not a problem!

No, it isn't. It's an issue with your specific server. There is absolutely no reason to change SMF just because of your host's misconfiguration efforts. (The standard rules for mod_security would not cover this case.)

Kindred

excvept that your problem was **NOT** a real issue for SMF. It was a real issue with your host's choice of poor configuration.

You may have done some searching, but once you came here, you went on the offensive, insisting that SMF was the cause of your problems. When people tried to help, instead of doing what they asked, you did something completely different and then yelled that "it didn't work".
(Well, of course it didn't work - you didn't do what we suggested, you did something else)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: