Amended Topic Title won't update Post Titles.

Started by bosswhite, June 12, 2013, 05:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bosswhite

My forum covers technical issues so, as an administrator, I will sometimes modify vague topic titles (Help me, etc.) to something more relevant to aid searching.
When I do this the titles in the posts within that topic remain unchanged (Re: Old Title instead of Re: New Title) and I have to manually edit each post.

I would have assumed that it would be a standard feature for post titles to update if the topic title was changed. It does so in most of the leading forum softwares (I say most, because I haven't tried them all but as yet haven't come across one that doesn't).

Am I missing something? Is there a setting I need to apply to make it update?
I've been down so long now it's beginning to look like up..

Shambles

You could click "move topic", tick the box that says "Change the topic's subject.", enter the new topic title (and tick "Change every message's subject.") then complete the move.

Naturally, you'd then move it right back from whence it came, resplendent in all its glory new topic title.

kat

I think it was done, intentionally, when SMF was first created. Maybe so that things could kinda go off topic, or something? I'd be quite interested to know the truth, behind that, just for historical reasons.

As you can see, my post has a different title. ;)

Shambles

My interpretation was that boss wanted to edit every message title within a thread, from one place, in one fell swoop.

I could be mistaken about that.

kat

Yeah, that's how I read it, too. I was just trying to explain why it is the way it is, really.

bosswhite

I cannot see the logic in what you are telling me.
In my mind, if you modify something it should also update anything that refers to it.

Another issue, but on the same topic of edits, is this:

I have a post entitled Adding "Glue Joints" to a PVC Service

I edit something in that post and then find that the title has automatically been changed to Adding \

This is really annoying because, if I don't spot it, all subsequent posts are given the same title.

I give just an example here, it happens frequently with any title with certain characters in it.

I am using SMF 2.0.4 language english utf8.

kat

Quote from: bosswhite on June 13, 2013, 07:58:25 AMI have a post entitled Adding "Glue Joints" to a PVC Service

I edit something in that post and then find that the title has automatically been changed to Adding \

Odd. Now, that's not supposed to happen, I believe.

Got any mods that might be affecting this? Come to that, got a link to somewhere that this is happening, that we can see, as guests?

bosswhite

Mods installed as per attached image.

Unfortunately you cannot see instances as I go back and modify them to correct them.
Guests are unable to post or edit on my forum

kat

I'd have to be a bit suspicious of the remove last edit mod.

Can that be disabled, to check if it's that that's affecting you?

bosswhite

I just uninstalled that mod but still get the same occurence.

Glad really, because it is a valuable mod - I think the ability to hide admin mods should be standard because so many of them are correcting spelling, etc.

kat

Right. I'm out of ideas, at the moment.

If nobody else can throw some light, on this, give it a bump, after a day, or two, to give me time to think about it. Sure is weird, that one...

Shambles

Quote from: bosswhite
I cannot see the logic in what you are telling me.
In my mind, if you modify something it should also update anything that refers to it.

Just leaving your off-topic additional issue aside, posts are stored in the database as individual messages. My "solution" gives you an opportunity to move a whole block (ie, topic) of messages somewhere else while changing the title in each message as the move proceeds.

I can't think of a simpler way of editing the topic title of a bunch of related messages all in one go.

Kindred

there is no simple way to do it without re-writing a portion of code...   (you can do the re-name of all associated posts during a thread merge, so it is possible... but probably a resource intensive action that you would not want to do when someone changes a word in the topic.

as for the second problem...   either you have a mod which has screwed something up or you are pasting from Word using those silly "special quotes"
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bosswhite

I don't know if it's connected with the topic title change issue but if I do a search for say button on I get search results like
Stacked ong class="highlight">Buttonong>s and ong class="highlight">Buttonong> Codes
which should read
Stacked Button and Button Codes

Kindred

yup... you are trying to paste crap from IE or Word...   and getting crap (like html)

Not sure how you got html into titles... SMF, by default, removes that junk... but whatever mods you have seem to be interfering with the normal operating procedures, PLUS you are pasting crap from microsquish.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: