News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Tabbed Categories

Started by NanoSector, June 16, 2013, 08:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luuuciano

Kindred, what about this? http://www.red-team-design.com/google-play-minimal-tabs-with-css3-jquery

I liked it... and think that I will move my forum categories to it (but I have no time now, lol...)

Or... look at this http://os.alfajango.com/easytabs/
(thinks like you? "So, why use this instead of jQuery UI tabs? Besides the fact, that jQuery UI includes a bunch of other stuff, jQuery UI says your tabs should look like this.......")
Or... http://www.jquery4u.com/navigation/10-beneficial-jquery-tab-plugins/

BTW, after using it for a couple of days... it is really nice to have tabbed categories! much better to find things, navigate, etc... a lot less scroll!
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

NanoSector

luuuciano, thanks for the EasyTabs link, bookmarked it and I'll look into making a version with that :)
Seems much easier to the end user.

Might keep the old package just for users who like the jQuery UI tab control.

New idea list:
- Use EasyTabs
- Provide sample CSS file
- Allow users to add in different styles *for each theme* by putting css files in Themes/{theme}/css/tabs, html can be customised in the template files if needed
- Option to tab only selected categories
- Allow moving around of tabs
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NanoSector

I might have a usable version of a version with EasyTabs in it by the end of the day, I'll try to package it up and post it here in the topic so you can use it in its form at that time. Then I'll get to adding the other features :)
It doesn't look as spectacular as the jQuery UI version but it is way more flexible.

Might have everything finished by tomorrow, but could be by the end of the week too, depending on how busy I'll be.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

NanoSector

This package installed fine on my install. Feel free to use it, it shouldn't put a timebomb on your forum (in the event that it does I'm not to be held responsible :P)

DSystem

Just perfect. It was very good.

Tested is approved.

Tested on my test environment forum. Tomorrow put it in Forum in production.

If you want to see how it looks. check out the link-> http://forum.eletronicabr.com.br/

login:dsystem
password: 102030

NanoSector

Take...2!

This version includes the ability to switch styles from the admin panel, and includes a minor change for styles. It also includes a style I designed to fit in with the Curve theme, it might work for other themes too but I haven't tested. :)
Uninstall the old versions and replace 'em! From now on your styles won't get lost when you uninstall the package, it will

Also attached is the old style from the previous take so you can take that one back if you liked it. Upload it to Themes/{yourtheme}/css/tabs and select it from the ACP :)

Setting can be found at Admin > Configuration > Current Theme. Special thanks to Arantor for showing me how it works & helping with the file listing mechanic :)

Happy tabbing, and let me know if it works! :)

Arantor

Pics or it didn't happen.

NanoSector

Arantor

Kindred

hmmm.....  doesn't appear to work correctly on my test site
http://test.turtleshellprod.com/index.php?action=community
http://test.turtleshellprod.com/index.php?action=community#cat5

the first page loads all boards in the tab...
each tab just reloads that same content, but jumps down the page.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NanoSector

Do you have any public boards on that forum? It doesn't have any boards in the HTML.

Kindred

hmmm... they should all be public. odd.....
Somehow, guests got removed form every board. How strange...    anyway - that is fixed, but the tabs are still wonky
Слaва
Украинi

NanoSector

Try removing the jQuery instance this mod adds, it seems to kill both a TweetGrab mod and itself.

BoardIndex.php, just search for jQuery and it should be there.

luuuciano

Quote from: Kindred on November 11, 2013, 11:47:12 AM
hmmm.....  doesn't appear to work correctly on my test site
http://test.turtleshellprod.com/index.php?action=community
http://test.turtleshellprod.com/index.php?action=community#cat5

the first page loads all boards in the tab...
each tab just reloads that same content, but jumps down the page.

Wich jquery version are you using?
I have posted about that in this thread... that happenend on 1.8.3 previous versions (or something similar)
Or try using the NoConflict way
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Kindred

hmmm...   disabling the two jquery lines  (googleapi and the local one) had no effect...

This is, of course, a test site, with about 80 mods installed currently, so there defintely could be a conflict somewhere....

Wonder if there is a conflict with PortaMX?  I think that uses some javascript stuff.

edit-
hmm....
tweetgrab
sharethis
sisyphus
tabbed categories

Wow...   I think I need to refresh the test site back to default and try again...
Слaва
Украинi

NanoSector

If I look in my console it said that $ "has no such method", now it shows that $ of object Window is not a function.

Can you change this piece:
//
$(document).ready(function() {
$('#tab-container').easytabs();
});
//]]>

into:
//
$.noConflict();
jQuery(document).ready(function($) {
$('#tab-container').easytabs();
});
//]]>

See if that works after putting back the jQuery line too? (should also be in BoardIndex.php)

Kindred

ok...   sorry, I reset the test site (removing all mods, themes and hooks)

It works perfectly when it's the only mod...

So, now I will start reinstalling some mods and see which causes the conflict.

edit- holy mackeral...
Installed the sisyphus and sharethis mods...
it broke again.
tried your noconflict code (parse error - had to use the following instead)

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
$.noConflict();
$(document).ready(function() {
$(\'#tab-container\').easytabs();
});
//]]]]><![CDATA[>
</script>';

but it was still broken.
uninstalled those mods...
it's still broken.

very odd
Слaва
Украинi

NanoSector

Can you restore the original code and see if that works? If it does not, try switching out the $s with jQuery

Kindred

tried that as well...   it's still broken, and I'm not sure why...  with the other mods confirmed as uninstalled...

forum cache maybe?
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: