IMPORTANT: Community security breach

Started by LiroyvH, July 23, 2013, 12:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARG01

Quote from: gobbler on July 26, 2013, 05:09:41 AM
You outta be sued for negligence.

You should be sued for ignorance. Not to mention the malicious abuse of the English language.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Kindred

Does anyone else find it amusing that he can spell negligence, but can't use the correct word for "ought to"?

And ARG, abuse of my eyes with that huge font... zomg...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ARG01

I don't normally harp on someone due to their grammar and/or spelling but let's face it......this guy is an idiot.  ;D
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

NanoSector

Quote from: Kindred on July 26, 2013, 09:31:20 AM
And ARG, abuse of my eyes with that huge font... zomg...
Illori asked me if I could try 82pt in my post, at least you won't miss it :P
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

neirons

That's mean more spam? Great. So, not mine or someone else password security level is important but actually administration staff human factor is the main role. They should be trained and if unsuccessful in training - fired!

Antes

Quote from: neirons on July 26, 2013, 10:54:18 AM
That's mean more spam? Great. So, not mine or someone else password security level is important but actually administration staff human factor is the main role. They should be trained and if unsuccessful in training - fired!

Yeap I agree, can you please tell this to vBulletin developers too ? :)

blablubbb

Thanks for the notification. I found it in my Yahoo-Spam-filter.

And thanks that you did not reset the PW by default, so I know for sure which of my PWs is tainted.

Cheers

blablubbb

FrizzleFried

I find it very telling that the majority of the complaining is coming from users with less than 10 post count...

Aside from my complaint... which,  to be fair,  had nothing to do with complaining about the fact that the site got hacked... nor had anything to do with outting,  firing,  punishing,  smacking,  beating down,  or any other way molesting the admin who made the error...

BTW:  Now that I've had some time to reflect on my criticism... I still maintain the same opinion,  though I apologize for the way I presented it.  I... in no way... want to be associated with the "geniuses" who've piled on about the hack,  the admin involved,  and the SMF community.

I am sorry.  I would also like to apologize to Kindred specifically for singling out...

Signed,

Drama-Monger :)

Kindred

no worries Frizzle.. Good title...   We could make that a perm title, with a special badge. LOL! :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ARG01

Quote from: neirons on July 26, 2013, 10:54:18 AM

I found this opinion to be a trend only by those that have very few posts and/or are NOT ACTIVE here at SMF. If you don't know the facts nor have any respect, compassion or common sense then there is really no reason to profess your ignorance here. Become active and then maybe your opinions would have some merit.

This community is based on FREE software and is supported by volunteers. There is no paid training nor paid staff so in a real sense, nobody can actually be fired.

Be glad that you have access to such a great FREE software. Like everyone else, deal with issues that arise and for God sakes STOP YOUR DAMN WHINING!

Avid Gamer

Quote from: MarkRH on July 24, 2013, 04:53:33 PM
Thanks for the head's up. Changed my password here. I used that password only here and the email address I have here is the only place I used it.  Since my webhost allows unlimited email forwarding I make a separate email for each place I register which makes it really easy to tell where a leaked/sold email address came from if I start getting spam on it. :)

I too do the same thing, easy to find the source of leak and easy to change the forwarded email. Then if a spammer uses it they will incur a Bounce and that will bring the attention (hopefully of a controller or admin).

As for dumping on the Admin, yes maybe it was an error on the admin's part maybe not, but it's done lets learn and get over it.
Mess with the Best
Die like the Rest.

Johnny54

I used the same password on a few websites/forums, not for other important things like e-mail, admin tasks, bank etc. Those were all unique.
For quit some time I told myself to make all of my passwords unique, but I kept putting it off.
What happened here was a great reminder and drive to finally do it.

DragoN_PT

Quote from: ARG on July 26, 2013, 11:06:13 AM
Become active and then maybe your opinions would have some merit.

And all the ppl that use SMF for years just cus they arent so active in the foruns can go f*** themselfs. Yeah, right.

ARG01

Quote from: DragoN_SAMP on July 26, 2013, 11:40:39 AM

And all the ppl that use SMF for years just cus they arent so active in the foruns can go f*** themselfs. Yeah, right.

I am not saying that. Where exactly did I say that? It's just funny that non-active members come here to complain only when an issue arises. They act as if they know the facts by reading the first post of a topic and don't bother to read through the entire thread. If they did then they would more than likely have a different opinion. Pure laziness shows ignorance.
My point is, if you don't know the facts then stop acting like a little schoolgirl that just had her hair pulled on the playground.

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Kindred on July 26, 2013, 11:04:32 AM
no worries Frizzle.. Good title...   We could make that a perm title, with a special badge. LOL! :P

Done!

:D

NanoSector

For one, use full words. "ppl" is not a word, write "people". It's not so damn hard to hit those few extra keys.

Second, everyone in the community is as important as the rest.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

ARG01

QuoteSecond, everyone in the community is as important as the rest.

Yes, I agree but, this topic should be split. One section for those concerned with the issue at hand and one for the perfect, God like whining babies to discuss the public hanging of the Admin who may have used poor judgement.

NanoSector

Quote from: ARG on July 26, 2013, 11:56:36 AM
QuoteSecond, everyone in the community is as important as the rest.

Yes, I agree but, this topic should be split. One section for those concerned with the issue at hand and one for the perfect, God like whining babies to discuss the public hanging of the Admin who may have used poor judgement.
As much as I agree I can't see it happening, we'll just have to deal with it.

ARG01

DragoN_PT

Quote from: ARG on July 26, 2013, 11:47:00 AM

I am not saying that. Where exactly did I say that? It's just funny that non-active members come here to complain only when an issue arises. They act as if they know the facts by reading the first post of a topic and don't bother to read through the entire thread. If they did then they would more than likely have a different opinion. Pure laziness shows ignorance.
My point is, if you don't know the facts then stop acting like a little schoolgirl that just had her hair pulled on the playground.

Maybe thats because they dont have any real bounds with ppl here (friends or wtv) and they see this like it really is: an SMF (admin) fault that compromised many ppl data. And the password isnt really the only thing affected since they (or he) could got, for instance, the "secret question" and with it get access to many other websites (since those questions usually are the same or similar).

You have friends here and feel the need to step up for them, its all good and go ahead with it, but dont forget that any member  registered before 20th of July (even if he has 0 posts) have the right to speak since they got affect by this.

Has you may have already noticed, EN isnt my native language so im sorry for any mistakes that i may have done and i hope you understand it. Cumpz.

Quote from: Yoshi on July 26, 2013, 11:52:53 AM
For one, use full words. "ppl" is not a word, write "people". It's not so damn hard to hit those few extra keys.

Why should i write like you want? Is that stated in the TOS? Maybe you should worry with other *more important* stuff instead, like helping SMF to protect themselfs.

Advertisement: