News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

IMPORTANT: Community security breach

Started by LiroyvH, July 23, 2013, 12:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

青山 素子

Maxie, please post in the appropriate support board. This topic is not the correct place to ask for support.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Maxie2019

Quote from: 青山 素子 on August 04, 2013, 12:38:09 PM
Maxie, please post in the appropriate support board. This topic is not the correct place to ask for support.

Soz, didn't realise but I managed to sort it out myself. Cheers!!

Meomix

Oi Oi Oi what the hell is going on? I just got a warning in my email that smf just got hacked and that it was a wide security breach non the less, i tried every password i could think of that could sign into my account on this site but to no avail, i had to change my password via email in order to log in here and complain, what is this, my passwords are a combination of letters and numbers but they are in over 20 sites. I will be in clear right? Thankfully my hosting account uses another set of passwords entirely thanks to the chammerless banter of the boss and admin fighting over the coding.

kat

If you use the exact same password, on every site, I would assume that you COULD get problems.

Kindred

you should never use the same password between sites regardless of of "secure" the password itself is.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

chrishoggy

Unless you are stupid enough to use same password as your own site, I don't really see a problem.
Server hack = Can happen to anybody, on any software package
Same password = A bit silly on an admin account, but we all make mistakes
Problem of SMF users = Only if you are stupid, and use admin password for other sites like this one.

I do wonder how many people did a little poo in their pants, when they realised they used their own admin password for other sites lol

NanoSector

Quote from: chrishoggy on August 07, 2013, 04:22:39 AM
I do wonder how many people did a little poo in their pants, when they realised they used their own admin password for other sites lol
Count up one... O:)
Changed it immediately though.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

homebrewdave

Quote from: Yoshi on August 07, 2013, 09:22:10 AM
Quote from: chrishoggy on August 07, 2013, 04:22:39 AM
Count up one... O:)
Changed it immediately though.

haha

Chalky

Quote from: YaramazAskO on August 08, 2013, 05:58:45 AM
OMG!  :'(

Yet you have only just registered with the sole purpose of making that constructive and informative commentary?  ::)

Zirkon

Yeah I don't know.

I got a dead horse out back... wonder how much I can charge for people to come and kick it? Thinking its a lucrative business op. No money in glue these days as all has gone paperless. Damn internet.  :)

LiroyvH

Quote from: Zirkon on August 13, 2013, 06:10:43 PM
I got a dead horse out back... wonder how much I can charge for people to come and kick it?

As with any service, people will only want to use it when it's free ;)

Closing this topic now, let me just point out one more time:
If you still haven't changed your password here and on other sites where you use the same password: please do it asap!

Would like to thank everyone that participated in the discussions in a good or less desirable way, who made suggestions and who understood that the SM/SMF team is ran by people. ;)

Thank you so much, and stay safe!
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: