Spam trouble

Started by Scratchit, August 24, 2013, 04:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Eh, add them both ;) Every little helps when it comes to pushing out spammers.

iaccountant

To add fuel to your argument, a week or so ago I accidentally clicked approve instead of reject during a particularly bad brain cramp

My "chief plumber" (most privileges besides myself as Admin) had to clear our 50 or so posts to our trash bin, where I had to permanently remove them

First time ever this has happened, and luckily his main objective actually was to embed links into our forum (we are very highly ranked in Google ...well our portal is, our forum is private and bots can't get in, nor can Google index anything) so no real harm was done, but it was a huge PITA.

Just thought I'd helkp you talk me into it  ;D

Evelyna

Quote from: ChalkCat on August 24, 2013, 08:34:57 AM
I have verification questions set on my forum plus Arantor's Misc Anti-Spam mod - go to ChalkCat and take a look if you like.  I can see the spambots trying to register but they can't  ;)  No registration, no email, no posts.  I have had only two spammers successfully register in 18 months and I blocked them both at admin approval.  It works.  If you have a mod like Bad Behaviour enabled as well they shouldn't even be able to try to register.  I have mine installed but not currently activated because my other defences are working just fine.

Would this be in addition to admin approval, or instead off?

Arantor

You don't generally need admin approval if you have those other measures. ;)

Advertisement: