News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Forum down

Started by Col, September 25, 2005, 09:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col

Hi,

I found my site down today for no reason I can fathom. I haven't changed anything.

QuoteWarning: Unterminated comment starting line 2 in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Settings.php on line 2

Notice: Undefined variable: maintenance in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/index.php on line 58

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Settings.php:2) in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Sources/Subs-Auth.php on line 211

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Settings.php:2) in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Sources/Subs-Auth.php on line 212

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Settings.php:2) in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Sources/Subs-Auth.php on line 213

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

I checked the database, and had errors warning something about 'certain tables not being closed by the last client'. - I used the repair function, and all tables then reported as being 'OK'. However, this did not change anything, and the same errors were still being reported.

The web host has informed me that "You will need to update your smf forum. The mysql service is reporting without any errors". Since then, the errors have changed to:

QuoteWarning: Unterminated comment starting line 2 in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Settings.php on line 2

Notice: Undefined variable: maintenance in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/index.php on line 58

Warning: db_fatal_error(/home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Sources/Subs-Auth.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Sources/Errors.php on line 275

Fatal error: db_fatal_error(): Failed opening required '/home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Sources/Subs-Auth.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Sources/Errors.php on line 275

I'd appreciate some help. I've had numerous problems that were apparently not their problem, only to find later that it was a server/mysql problem, and/or it the problem corrected itself! ::)

Thanks.

Ben_S

Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Dannii

Your settings.php files is corrupted. Try deleting it and renaming your backup to settings.php

If that doesn't work, copy the whole file here.

edit: Or do as Ben_S says
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Col

Hi,

I was going to to try running the repair function, but realised that I was a bit uncertain of some of the information I should enter, and decided to check the settings.php file (as I was being asked for information for every field), only to find the file virtually empty. I decided to go with your suggestion, eldacar, and used the backup, which is at least brought the forum to life, but I know have the following error when I try to login:

Quotelogin2(/home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Sources/Subs-Auth.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied

What now? - Thanks.

Ben_S

Check that Sources/Subs-Auth.php exists and what it's chmodded to.

Col

Yep, it's there, and chmodded to 770.

Dannii

Try 755 or 775 or 777 even.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Col

I have it chmodded to 644 now. - Is that OK?

Thanks.

Ben_S

Col

Hi Ben,

Yes it does appear to. I don't fully understand chmodding, but I understand that the lower the permissions, the better, generally speaking. So I guess that should be fine?

Thanks for your help, and thank you aldacar.

Ben_S

Yep 644 is perfectly fine.

Advertisement: