1.8 gigs of posts even after clearing old posts

Started by Thomocracy, October 14, 2013, 10:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomocracy

I'm using Justhost, and they're kind enough to shut down our website every time a php database exceeds 2 gigs. I've tried deleting all posts older than 1 year, but the php posts still show as 1.8 gigs. The board is nearly empty, so I'm trying to figure out how we're still going over 2 gigs every ten days or so.

I'm scraping by with clearing the sessions, drafts, etc. Any ideas beyond switching hosts, paying more money for a larger cap? Any clues as to how I can have less than a hundred posts (text only) and we're still too bloated?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Arantor

Burke ♞ Knight

What is your member base?
What other stuff do you have?
Gallery, Downloads, etc...

Bigguy

Drafts...are you using 2.1 or a mod for drafts. ???

Arantor

Thomocracy

Wow, speedy help. Thanks, all.

The error log is getting cleared, too, in order to scrape by under 2 gigs. There's a phpadmin button in the control panel, and it breaks down the tables in phpbb1 (our forum). I clear drafts, logs and sessions by emptying them, since I figure they're not needed.

Thomocracy

We have a dozen or so members, and I cleared out any that hadn't posted in more than a year. We don't have galleries or anything like that, just forums to post about random bs or our podcast episodes.

Arantor

If you're looking at phpMyAdmin it should be able to tell you what tables are consuming space - and how much. If you only have a hundred posts, you really shouldn't have hundreds of MBs of database use.

Thomocracy

The forum statistics say 146 posts in 33 topics. I know, it doesn't make sense.

Arantor

So what's in the database? Seriously, phpMyAdmin should be telling you what each table is consuming.

Thomocracy

In phpMyAdmin I click on "phpbb1", which is our forum. Phpbb_posts, which has 513,000 rows is 1.8 gigs in size.

Huh. Why does it still have all of the posts I deleted in there? They're not on the forum, but I guess they're all still saved in the database. How do I clear them out of there?

Burke ♞ Knight

If your forum is phpbb, why are you asking on the SMF site?

Thomocracy

Hey, I'll start over. Justhost keeps turning off my website when the php database for our forum (which is using SMF 2.0) gets larger than 2 gigs. If your question is to indicate that these two are exclusive, and by deleting the posts in phpMyAdmin will not disrupt the board, then thanks.

If your question indicates that my question doesn't pertain to SMF, then I am confused that the php database is growing when I'm not using a php board.

TLDR: I'm using SMF 2.0 and thought I'd seek help.

Sir Osis of Liver

Phpbb is different forumware, and nothing to do with SMF.  Phpbb_posts appears to be a database table from a phpbb forum.  Has nothing to do with your SMF 2.0 forum.  Why you have a 1.8 gig phpbb table that keeps growing when you don't have a phpbb forum is something of a mystery.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

If you're using SMF 2.0, why is your database called phpbb1?

In fact, phpbb_posts isn't an SMF table. The messages table in SMF is called messages (but usually has a prefix called smf_, so usually it's smf_messages)

There is no posts table in an SMF install, which is what's *really* confusing. Are you sure you're looking at an SMF installation? Did you convert from phpBB? If you *did*, then you could possibly just delete that table.

Sir Osis of Liver

* Hee, hee - first time Krash ever ninja'd Arantor.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Burke ♞ Knight

We ask, due to your continue use of phpbb1 in your posts.
That indicates that there may be a phpbb forum in the equation.

Are you running only SMF, or is there more to this than just one forum?
Was this forum converted from a phpbb forum?

Deleting things from the database will affect you forum.
Do not just go in and delete things via phpmyadmin, unless you know what you are doing.

Make sure to back up all files and your database first.

EDIT: Triple ninja'd!!!
Dang slow fingers tonight...LOL

Arantor

Quote from: Krash. on October 15, 2013, 12:04:53 AM

* Hee, hee - first time Krash ever ninja'd Arantor.

* Arantor has had cider, and was playing Godus at the time, what's your excuse? :P :P

Thomocracy

Yes, I did convert to SMF from php. So, I could conceivably back up the posts on my board, delete the php database and cross my fingers?

It still wouldn't explain the php database growing, but who cares?

Thanks all!

Arantor

Quote from: Thomocracy on October 15, 2013, 12:09:26 AM
Yes, I did convert to SMF from php. So, I could conceivably back up the posts on my board, delete the php database and cross my fingers?

It still wouldn't explain the php database growing, but who cares?

Thanks all!

It wouldn't explain the old database growing, but the new one will grow over time - and between the two it could easily get too big.

But if you're not using the phpBB forum, it should be safe to delete (with a backup *just in case*) and bring you way back under the 2GB limit.

Thomocracy

Update: I backed up the forum through the SMF admin panel and deleted phpbb1. Forum is still there, so you were right. Still not sure how the database kept growing, but at least now I'm not paying for a website that's locked up for going over some arbitrary number.

Thanks again, all.

Arantor

Well, if it's growing steadily that would imply something causing errors which go into the error log, which is why I suggested you check it first up ;)

Kindred

you should also not depend on the SMF admin backup, especially for very large databases.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: