Upgrade from SMF 1.1.x to 2.0.5 > Server has not responded for 30 seconds Error

Started by chase78, October 19, 2013, 02:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSector

My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

margarett

Yes. Just remember that, depending in the size if the database, you might get a timeout when uploading it.
If that happens, have a look at "bigdump.php"
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kat

Quote from: chase78 on October 21, 2013, 07:03:20 PMcolor=red]max_execution_time = 30 (MAXIMUM in seconds)[/color]

They won't even raise that, temporarily?

Miserable bastards.

margarett

I don't think that's the real issue, K@.

I really think that you can put there 10 minutes if you like. It will die nevertheless...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

well, the database and files are not "atuomagically" copied...  You have to do that yourself.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

Quote from: margarett on October 22, 2013, 07:30:53 AM
I don't think that's the real issue, K@.

I really think that you can put there 10 minutes if you like. It will die nevertheless...

You could be right, of course.

I just thought that it might be worth trying, tiz all. :)

chase78

thanks guys... for all your feedback.

i will try to do this.

makes me feel i need a better webhost.

kat

I couldn't disagree, with that. :)

Avoid any that offer "Unlimited" anything. There's no such animal. ;)

Have a look here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=4.0

chase78

Thanks everyone.

I installed WAMP (its quite a breeze compared to 10 tens ago when Apache had to be setup "manually").

My database is too big... did all the timeout changes... and I cannot even import into the WAMP server.

mysql> source chase_singthaidisco.sql.gz
ERROR:
ASCII '\0' appeared in the statement, but this is not allowed unless option --bi
nary-mode is enabled and mysql is run in non-interactive mode. Set --binary-mode
to 1 if ASCII '\0' is expected. Query: '▼'.
Bye

Please dont answer if you are not comfortable, as I understand this is not a MYSQL forum. I might outsource the upgrade to eLance freelancers LOL.

NanoSector

WAMP includes phpMyAdmin, head over to localhost/phpmyadmin. There you should be able to import the file.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

margarett

You should have phpmyadmin available, why are you doing it via command prompt?
What is the size of your backup?

Edit: ninja'd :P

Arantor

You're not trying to run a public website from a WampServer installation are you? This is not a good idea.

chase78

Thanks everyone. I am learning something new with this task.

I tried importing via phpmyadmin but it does not work. I cant remember the error. I had increase all those max file this max time out variables.

So from online advice, they suggested importing via mysql command line.

I dont think I am running a public website. I dunno how to do that.

margarett

Try a staggered import tool like bigdump.php
http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump/

As for public: are you serving any users from your computer or is it just a test installation for yourself? Are you blocking access with your firewall?
I don't know about WAMP, but XAMPP is pre-configured to accept connections from any origin, I had to change it to lock it to localhost...
http://www.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?p=150195

chase78

Ok, i have asked someone in elance to help with the upgrade. and his vps server is not powerful enough and the upgrade job fails...

is this bigdump still required? Not really right? I dont need to import but now the upgrade still does not work right?

Kindred

I am confused with all these people who are having problems...  I just upgraded a moderately large forum on an ancient GoDaddy shared server...   it took a bit, but successfully completed in about 3 hours.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Goodies

@Chase78 I understood you don't use attachments and you did do the hack in subs.php

Now it still does not finish in time ? what's the size of your smf_messages table ? How many messages are there ?

If you are using WAMP, I advise to put the settings in php.ini to the max on your local machine too. Also set max execution time to 6000. This will help the import of your 1.1 backup via phpMyAdmin.

Once you have your database loaded into the local phpMyAdmin setup, you can partition the uploads in e.g. 50.000 messages at a time, using Export options in phpMyAdmin. I had to do my forum in several chunks for smf_messages and smf_log_topics. The other tables transferred quickly.

One other reminder: when transferring your database using phpMyAdmin, make sure the format (e.g. UTF-8) is set the same on both sides. Otherwise you'll run into these \0 messages..

Lx

chase78

My smf_messages has 258K rows, size is 138MB.

I will think through the suggestions you all have mentioned and try again on my localhost.

I had retrieved my database backup from hostgator's cpanel interface. Maybe I check with hostgator on whether they use the format of UTF 8.

chase78

Thanks everyone. A bit of good news. I used the big dump to import the database backup into my localhost home computer.

Now I tried putting the forum script, change the settings.php but get the

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at [email protected] to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

chase78

I moved the repair_settings.php into the localhost folder and run but got the same error.

I did not make any changes to the repair_settings file and just ran it in the browser.

Advertisement: