When quoting a post...the cursor is still within the original post text

Started by ScrumpyJack, October 22, 2013, 12:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScrumpyJack

Hi,

When quoting a post the original post seems to be picked up as a quote, but it doesn't appear to be finished.

So...the cursor appears within the quote, rather than in the white space below it.

Does anyone know what might be causing this and do I need to add some code to one of the files to be able to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Lee
:)

margarett

I'm sorry, I can't picture the problem in my head. Can you please post a screenshot? How is it different from this?
Quote from: ScrumpyJack on October 22, 2013, 12:08:00 PM
Hi,

When quoting a post the original post seems to be picked up as a quote, but it doesn't appear to be finished.
Can we have a link to a post in your forum where this happens? Did you try with another theme?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ScrumpyJack

Hi again guys,

Actually....maybe there isn't supposed to be a " at the end of the quote in that case....I thought there was for some reason.

The only issue then seems to be that when replying to a post...the cursor is flashing on the line under the different coloured quote...but still within the same block if that makes sense?

So....the cursor would normally sit in the reply area message body...but in my board it is still within the original quote.

I am using the following BBCode Mods:

SCEditor4Smf
Countdown BBCode

Thanks

Lee

Arantor

The problem is almost certainly related to the SCEditor mod. Much, much more work went into getting it implemented in 2.1 than the mod has had.

ScrumpyJack

Oh......

Thanks Arantor! :)

It appears that if you begin typing in the quoted text....you can then delete that piece of text and then click on the white message body area underneath.

You CAN then reply to the quote.

I guess it's nothing too major...but I just wanted to see if it was something that had broken that piece of functionality or not.

Thanks for the clarification!

Lee

ScrumpyJack

Another thing I have noticed when I removed the  SCEditor4Smf mod........

Quotes now seem to work as expected, but I get the following once I have replied and clicked on 'Post'.

AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED!
The email template "notify_boards_once_reply" could not be found.

The post still seems to go through though as it is there once you refresh the topic.

Any ideas on that?

Thanks

Lee

Arantor

I'd be checking your Themes/default/languages/EmailTemplates.english.php file against the one in a fresh 2.0 install to make sure it has everything it should do.

ScrumpyJack

Thanks Arantor.

I'm not sure i will be able to compare it to a new install template as I have SMF installed on my companies Corporate server which is also being used to host other programs and web services etc.

Do you have any idea what I might need to look for within the template file by chance please?

I suspect it will mention the word 'quote' in there somewhere. Would it be a good start to look for that word in the template and see what lines of code come back?

Thanks

Lee

Arantor

Hmm, I just checked the code again (given that I still have bits of 2.0, 2.1 and an SMF fork in my head, I do sometimes get confused about what *should* be there vs what *is* there)

While my previous advice is still good in most cases - checking that files should have what they're supposed to have - in this case it won't actually help you.

There is no notify_boards_once_reply email template - but neither is the code set up that it should be producing such.

Notify code is handled initially in Post.php:
// Figure out which email to send off
$emailtype = '';

// Send only if once is off or it's on and it hasn't been sent.
if (!empty($rowmember['notify_regularity']) && !$sentOnceAlready && empty($rowmember['sent']))
$emailtype = 'notify_boards_once';
elseif (empty($rowmember['notify_regularity']))
$emailtype = 'notify_boards';

if (!empty($emailtype))
{
$emailtype .= $send_body ? '_body' : '';
$emaildata = loadEmailTemplate($emailtype, $replacements, $langloaded);
sendmail($rowmember['email_address'], $emaildata['subject'], $emaildata['body'], null, null, false, 3);
}

Which means it should be generating notify_boards_once, notify_boards_once_body, notify_boards, and notify_boards_body email templates (which all exist)

I can't find anywhere that should generating that email template.

ScrumpyJack

Thanks for checking that Arantor.

I have installed a mod called Notify Group which allows admins to assign a group of users to receive notifications from any specific board.

The quoted post wasn't within that particular board though and it seems to be ok if you create a new post.

Hmmm....I have edited some of the standard email templates with the Email Template Editor mod...but I haven't removed any of the templates, only reworded them slightly...so I don't think it's likely to be caused by that particular mod.

The quote post function must be looking for something that obviously isn't there, but pinpointing where that is located, or it thinks should be located seems to be the challenge.

Thanks

Lee

P.S....I've had another thought. There is a 3rd mod which is supposed to notify the user if a topic or board they have chosen to get notifications on themselves is posted or replied in. I wonder if that mod is supposed to have a template installed with it that perhaps didn't install properly for some reason???

I can't check the name of the mods until I am in  the office again on Thursday, but perhaps they are a good place to start. What do you think?

Arantor

Here's the thing, the quote function does not do anything of that sort.

This is a problem with notifications - and the quote function does NOT cause any separate notifications on its own (it does not trigger any notifications on being quoted, never has in the core). As I said, the email template being referred to is NOT something in stock SMF. So it's down to your mods doing something they should not be.

ScrumpyJack

At least you are giving me a clear indication that it's definitely something to do with a mod, and realistically it has to be one of those three I guess.

Maybe the two mods that both notify users of activity in boards they are subscribed to (one moderator controlled and the other user controlled) are clashing somehow?

I think I'll uninstall both of them on Thursday and reinstall the Notify Group as that's the one I would rather keep for now....to see what happens.

If the issues clears itself up then great. If not and it's the notify group mod causing the issue, perhaps I can have a word with the mod creator for some help/advice etc....

As always, you have been a great help so far and I really appreciate it!

Lee

Advertisement: