News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Reset Password - Invalid Activation Code

Started by stewpot007, October 30, 2013, 04:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewpot007

Hi All,

Members are emailing saying;

"I'm trying to reset my password, but when I've put in a new one it's saying invalid activation code"

So I upgraded to 2.0.6 and tested this myself on a test account by asking for a "password reset" and I get the "Invalid Activation Code" errors (see image attached) after clicking the link and choosing a new password which you can test yourself using the link below;

QuoteDear Stewpot,
This mail was sent because the 'forgot password' function has been applied to your account. To set a new password, click the following link:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?action=reminder;sa=setpassword;u=21515;code=6d27a91b7d

IP: 2.217.151.254
Username: Stewpot

I have the mods attached installed and all are working ok, note I upgraded to 2.0.6 today but this issue has been going on for a few weeks.
I also attach the sources\LogInOut.php file for review.

Any guidance appreciated.

Stew

margarett

Any errors in your error log?

You can check in phpmyadmin if the code generated there is the same as the one sent to you, field "validation_code"
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Chalky

Your members aren't getting impatient waiting for the email and requesting the reset twice?  Subsequent reset requests invalidate any codes sent previously, so the code in the latest email is always the one that must be used.

stewpot007

Error log on database attached.
Does this indicate something in the code conflicting causing the issue?

margarett

The reminder is not dealt within LogInOut, rather Reminder.php

So I'm not sure if this error, or the collation issue, can cause this problem...

Can you check this?
Quote from: margarett on October 30, 2013, 06:15:30 AM
You can check in phpmyadmin if the code generated there is the same as the one sent to you, field "validation_code"

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

stewpot007

I attach reminder.php

I am not sure how to check in phpmyadmin, do I run a query on the file?

Regards,
Stew

margarett

You can do that, yes.

SELECT *
FROM smf_members
WHERE id_member = 21515

This will return the full row for your test user. One of the fields is "validation_code" (or you can SELECT validation_code and it will just return that column)

edit: there is something wrong with your file, you're missing this:

// Quit if this code is not right.
if (empty($_POST['code']) || substr($realCode, 0, 10) !== substr(md5($_POST['code']), 0, 10))

Instead you have this:

// Quit if this code is not right. if (empty($_POST['code']) || substr($realCode, 0, 10) !== substr(md5($_POST['code']), 0, 10))

(a line break was deleted, the "if" is commented out and that's why it always throw you out with error)

Just correct it or upload a "clean" Reminder.php and you should be fine ;)

stewpot007

Hi,

Validation Code: 797ff96172

I assume this is not aligning with the new password link?

Stew

margarett

More or less, it should be md5 hashed. Doesn't matter, look at my post again, I think I found your issue ;)

Kindred

oh....   looks like someone edited a file using a bad editor, which removed many of the line breaks......  wonder what other files may be affected.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

stewpot007

Issue resolved by inserting the line break in reminder.php file.

btw is there a way I can check for errors in other files?

Stew

margarett

You can diff it against original "clean" files (this is what I've done with Notepadd++ "Compare" plugin) but, if you add MODs, some files will be different so you must be careful and know what you are looking for...

I would say, keep a close eye to your forum error log and to any malfunctions occurring (like in this case) and we'll try to look case-by-case. If your files were severely damaged, your forum would be completely down so you should be fine.

I'm marking this as solved for you. Feel free to add any related questions you may still have or to create new topics with new ones ;)

Advertisement: