October Update

Started by Arantor, October 04, 2013, 08:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

I wanted to give everyone a heads-up as to what's been going on with SMF development lately.

First up, team changes. In recent days, both myself and Miss All Sunday have joined Oldiesmann and emanuele on the SMF dev team, to help shake out the bugs and get 2.1 ready. Together we're cracking on with everything :)

This brings me to my second point - if you want to see what's been going on, it's all on Github - https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1 - warts and all. As we add things to the repo, you will be able to see them, and if you look at the commit list, you can see just how busy things have been with us lately :)

For those who haven't braved Github - and I'm not sure I'd blame you :P - here's what we've been up to. This isn't a complete blow by blow - there's lots of things in there that I don't need to spell out, but here's the main stuff.

* Bug fixes related to the disregard function
* Various bug fixes to our integration of SCEditor
* Various display bugs
* SSI posts function not allowing permission overrides
* Some minor code clean-ups
* Better handling of the upgrader for certain theme-related changes
* Stronger privacy around email addresses
* Improved documentation in SMF itself when you click the (?) icons
* Censoring is now primarily a global option rather than a per theme option like it used to be
* SMF no longer warns about an out of date database when it isn't out of date
* Better anti spam defences that work in the background without having to do anything
* Personal text can be set up to be shown on registration and also disabled through the Advanced Profile Fields page
* Anti spam Q&A should now be able to support multiple languages (different questions per language) as well as multiple answers per language
* The header area can no longer be collapsed, it's just 'as it is' - themes can re-add it if they wish, but with the revised theme in 2.1, it was just less useful than before
* General overhaul of the moderation centre; the 'live news from SMF' block is no longer in use there and we've been working on the layout to make it more useful in general
* Various minor bug fixes

So as you can see it's been a crazy few weeks - and the ride isn't slowing down either!

I think it's fair to say that we're still not quite ready to push out a public beta for 2.1 yet, but we're getting closer; most of what we're doing is bug fixing, not new features, and the more bug fixing we do, the sooner we can get to a public release for everyone to play with and help us nail down more bugs.

So please, do have a look on Github at where we're at, please do try it out if you feel brave enough and if you do have a fix for bugs you find, please do let us know - the more bugs we can shake out, the better it is for everyone :)

Any questions, please let us know! (Of course, the standard 'when will 2.1 be ready?' / 'when I can download it?' will receive fairly blunt answers: "when it's ready, not before" and "you can download the in-progress version from Github if you desire but support will naturally be limited")

Bigguy

Great update. Nice to know things are moving forward. :)

margarett

Good news :) And thanks for the update
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Ricky.

Thats an useful update. Thank you for penning it down for us.

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

kat

What busy bunnies!

Ta, dev chaps and chapess!

Dzonny

Thanks for the update Arantor, keep rocking! :)

Burke ♞ Knight

Going great so far!

Keep up the great job Dev team! :)

Irisado

Onwards and upwards, it's great to see.  Thank you for posting the updates :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Antes

Chalky

Thanks indeed, it's great to see  :)

iMiKK

Thank Developer team for the updates.
Wish the final version will be released soon. :)

Bigguy

How be we wish for the beta first and then RC, then final. ;)

GravuTrad

Great news! Thanks Arantor. ;)
On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soi! (Petit!Petit!)

Think about Search function before posting.
Pensez à la fonction Recherche avant de poster.

Johnny54

Nice to hear the developer team grew with 100 %  ;D
Even better to hear that progress is being made on 2.1
Thanks for the update.

4Kstore

new life in the team is always good, thanks for the great work you do

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

maxg

Thank you for the update and for joining the team, great to hear!
I wish you Guys the best moving forward on this, this great news indeed!

regards,
Maxx

TomW

Thanks for jumping in, Arantor & MissAllSunday !  I've been watching Git and it truly has been exciting to see an update almost every day.

Alpay

Advertisement: