Better attachments handling

Started by radu81, November 22, 2013, 04:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalky

Hover over some of the topic titles in this board.  ILA in conjunction with Nice Tooltips makes for a fabulous effect when the picture is placed first in the post, as my co-admin discovered when she started posting events on ChalkCat  ;)

I love ILA and use it with Fancy Box.  I don't want a gallery, none of our members would use a gallery, we just want to be able to position images where we want within posts.  That said, I don't mind whether it's in core or a mod as long as the functionality is there.  I can see that for many forums there may be no requirement for inline attachments.

radu81

Finaly someone who's thinking like me ;)

I do not want to use a gallery, specially now that Aeva is not updated for years. I don't know if it will be updated and there is also no release date for wedge. There are other galleries but are not offering the same functions as aeva. For something similar I should use paid a paid gallery.
None of free galleries has autoresize for images, and as I say first nobody will resize them first. People are used to download photos from phones, cameras and publish them like on Facebook.
sorry for my bad english

Arantor

Nice to know that my posts are being taken into consideration.

Quote from: Arantor on November 23, 2013, 12:25:22 AM
There is an argument for using attachments in the body of a post when you're doing it occasionally and don't need a gallery, e.g. an announcement or similar where you want the image inlined into the body of the page. Heck, I've done that in the past, but I deliberately didn't use a gallery mod - or attachments - but uploaded the images directly to the server with a custom lightbox bbcode to handle preview/full size. But then again it was part of a blog conversion ;)

Quote from: Arantor on November 23, 2013, 01:03:49 AM
And that's usually why it's needed. But that's not to say it's a need we should necessarily ignore just because it doesn't fit our preconceived notions of how people should use our software.

Translation: I've found a need for it in the past, I don't entirely agree with the view being put forth that it is out of the realms of what SMF could do, I'm just trying to find the evidence that it's worth MY time and energy to figure it out and implement it in the core, since it takes little effort to make a suggestion and considerably more effort to implement.

But I guess unless I spell it out, multiple times, I'm not being listened to. Seems completely consistent with everything else going on.

radu81

Ok, if I understand well you did it uploading images directly to ftp and embed images with bbcode IMG ? Ok, I also used in the past an utility to upload and resize images to my host, but as not being integrated with SMF only I could use it. Not all users. On forum I am not the only one who write the tutorials, there are also other members that write them
sorry for my bad english

Arantor

I did, but it would not be suitable for general use, I just did it that way to save a massive, massive amount of performance.

But the point stands, I'm not disagreeing with you. I never actually disagreed with you about the need for this. I just wanted you to provide me with sufficient evidence that it's worth my time (and going 'because platform x has it' is not), and I resent the fact that only now you're going 'finally someone's thinking like me' when I already thought about it.

radu81

Sorry Arantor, but I don't understand well what you're trying to say. My english is very "basic" , I read a few times your last post and  used G translate but ... :(  You're saying that you are not agree with me and there is no need to implement theese mods in smf because the evidences I gave were not enough?

I did not want to offend you when I said "someone is thinking like me", I read your post, so was not reffered to you or somebody else
QuoteSo do I because if there's a significant demand, I'll implement it.

--edit--
Here http://goo.gl/TOA8TU you can find a tutorial write by one of my moderator. I modified it and upload all images to my ftp. It will be much easier for me to do it with inline attachments and image autoresized than the way I did it
sorry for my bad english

Oldiesmann

Quote from: radu81 on November 23, 2013, 08:34:50 AM
Finaly someone who's thinking like me ;)

I do not want to use a gallery, specially now that Aeva is not updated for years. I don't know if it will be updated and there is also no release date for wedge. There are other galleries but are not offering the same functions as aeva. For something similar I should use paid a paid gallery.
None of free galleries has autoresize for images, and as I say first nobody will resize them first. People are used to download photos from phones, cameras and publish them like on Facebook.

You didn't look very hard then, as Coppermine most certainly does have automatic image resizing...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Chalky

And my post wasn't to be taken as siding with anybody.  I clearly stated that I don't care about inline attachments being in SMF core.  I'm happy that I have my mod, so I don't see a problem with things just the way they are.

radu81

Your post and your forum is surely useful for me because I see you are using inline attachments and images are also visible from Tapatalk. On my forum I only see broken images from Tapatalk when using inline images. Are you using the ILA mod by spuds or attachments in message mod?

I'll ask on Tapatalk forum, but a few months ago  they said they won't support ILA mod
sorry for my bad english

Chalky

a10

This topic = good read. Agree that the inline pictures would be nice (= great) to have as a built-in feature, but understand the workload on the developers.

ftm am testing Spuds mod, works fine so far (mainly tech forum here, lots of pictures).
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Gargoyle

Ive always just uploaded them like normal... Submitted the post.. Copied the image url... And modified my original posting using the img tag and the link from the newly uploaded image...

Or am I missing something here?

Arantor

Nothing except the relative inelegance.

Gargoyle

Elegant.... No its not...

Functional... You betcha! :-)

Arvacon

+1 from me about these suggestions.
For some forums, like hobby, electronics, machining etc., the pictures are a very big and important part of the description that the members try to present.
Let's say that we have to describe the build of a device, that it has lot of details. Most of times, this will needs at least 10 pictures in one post, to make others see your work and understand about what are you talking about.

If the pictures open like with the Highslide, then it's nice and easy to see them, but if you have just the default system, this is not comfort at all and you start feeling boring to open them one by one. Also sometimes it is nice to watching the photos without need to open them, as it is happening with the ILA, that you can put them into the post in big size and make it looks like a tutorial, with several pictures one under the other and with some description between them, as you analyze your work.

Something else that it would be handy too, is the youtube video links to could be placed as is at the editor and then after posting it, to open the video window without need to use bbcode or extra buttons. For us that we know some things about forums, this seems not important, but you can't imagine how many users are keep asking us about how to do this.. There are a lot of people out there that they don't understand and they ask always how to put youtube links...

Anyway, what I try to say is, these requirements are not because we want our forums to be glamorous. If you see this from the side of the simple user, these things are important for the correct funtionality of a community that it has the need of the attachments at the posts.

I can't imagine a forum about machinists, that someone needs help about how to unscrew for example his lathe machine and that the members will have to explain him just with words, or he must describe them how his lathe seems, because for ex. it is difficult to upload 10 pictures at once..   

Pictures=1000 words, right? It has nothing to do with elegant and if you want SMF to be on top again, you have to fight for it and improve some things and you must know that we are here and we will continue to support you.

I understand that you try hard about this project all these years and whatever you do it takes a lot of your free time, but isn't it a pity to leave a so many years work to fade out and stay behind of the competition with the pass of time?
Just my 2 cents as you say in America  :)

Arantor

Every feature that gets added delays the release... that's why I need justification that it's worth my time and worth delaying the release for.

Shazar

To indulge in a spot of necromancy, inline attached images would be great. I've got a few small forums for game and airsoft related shenanigans, and most of the time we want to have images, we want them inlined in specific places in the main text of the post so they're immediately relevant. Sure, we can host them elsewhere and just use image tags (which is what we usually do), but that puts the images at the mercy of random image boards, so useful threads tend to decay by themselves over time as images get deleted.  :(

It would definitely be a good thing to be included as a "core" feature in future releases, but I understand the devs probably have their plates full with other things. It's more of a usability/quality of life thing, it'd make the forums feel significantly nicer to use (at least for people like me) without being a critical issue.

For a mod that can do the same thing, any suggestions? I've seen ILA suggested above but the thread here leads to a dead download link - am I doing it wrong, or does anyone have alternative suggestions for a mod that'll sort me out and work in 2.0.7?  :)

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shazar

Quote from: Kindred on March 29, 2014, 04:03:48 PM
hxxp:github.com/Spuds/SMF-ILA [nonactive]
Aha, thanks very much!  ;D

crimpson

Personally I would love ILA and to be able to use it with Fancy Box, like CheekyCat.
Problem is it doesn't seem to be available for smf 2.0.x (I'm using 2.0.7)
I have been searching for options for positioning images within the post body instead of just leaving them as a block at the bottom of the post.
This would be of great use to me if it was brought up to date and made compatible with smf 2.0.x
Thanks for all your hard work guys.

Advertisement: