Possible to restrict the daily/weekly digests to a particular part of forum?

Started by rickphp, December 05, 2013, 06:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickphp

is there a way to have smf forum email my members monthly about new threads?

Arantor

Not monthly, no. There's daily and weekly digests, which are opt-in for your users (i.e. they have to pick notifications themselves)

Or you can send out a monthly newsletter which spotlights interesting things to them.

rickphp

Hi,

Daily/weekly is fine. Is there a way to alter what is included in these? The reason I ask is because I've created a community forum the local village I live in, and there is a 'village related' category which I want the digest to include details from, but there are other (non village related) categories I don't want to be included in the digest.

So basically I'd like a digest that contains only village related content from the village category on the forum, is this possible?

Thanks
Ricky

rickphp

Also, where do members opt in/out out of these emails - additionally, is it possible to allow them to opt in/out on registration?

Thanks

Arantor

There really isn't a particularly good way to do it out of the box, because it's not really designed the way you want it to work... (because what you want to do is somewhat atypical)

2.0's model is about keeping it simple: you can request notifications of replies to topics that you're following, or new topics in boards that you're following. And then that overall notification happens straight away/daily/weekly depending on user preference.

While it is possible to do stuff with it on signup, SMF does not have any options for this out of the box.

Users opt into notifications on topics/boards by pressing the 'notify' button at the top or bottom of a board or topic listing.

rickphp

Oh right, so the daily weekly digests are actually the notifications from subscribed topics? I misunderstood it as being an email about hot topics or something like that!

In which case is anyone aware of a mod which emails users with new/hot topics?

Thanks

Arantor

No, there isn't as far as I know... there's nothing to stop you sending digests of interesting topics as newsletters though.

Advertisement: