Precautions in automatic updating for customized code

Started by djr33, January 27, 2014, 08:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djr33

Hi, I'm looking for a fairly simple answer on this one from someone who knows exactly how the packages work.

I sometimes customize the code running my forum (yes, I know, that's frowned upon and makes it potentially incompatible with upgrades). So what I'm wondering is just how precisely the software checks (or doesn't check) for this during an upgrade.

Is the software able to report a problem upon realizing it will remove code that I have customized? Is it identifying strings based on exact equivalence to what is expected?

If it says "no problem" when checking the update, is it generally safe to go on? Or might it remove modifications I've made?

(I realize that technically a modification I've made could rely on something in the code that will be altered, but that's unavoidable and I can figure it out after the fact.)

Kindred

The auto install patch packages will never uninstall, or undo, any modifications, packaged or manual.

The package manager just flags the code that it can not find or auto edit and tells you what failed.

Using the large upgrade archive, on the other hand, will remove all code changes. Period.
No query, no check.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

djr33

Advertisement: