News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

moving my old smf forum to a new domain

Started by S Mac, February 27, 2014, 01:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S Mac

Hello people. Can you help? Basically, I've got 2 forums now. One is www.blackbeautyhaircareforum.org.uk and the other is a new one, www.thenaturalhairforum.co.uk. I've pretty much got the first one as I want it for now but I had to buy a new domain & hosting package in order to change the domain name from the long-winded one to the new one.
In short, I want to transfer everything from blackbeautyhaircareforum.org.uk over to thenaturalhairforum.co.uk - exactly as it is, pleeeease. Is it a simple case of uploading via ftp? (I've already installed smf on the new webspace).

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

S Mac

Oops, forgot to say that they're both with the same host. I don't know if this makes a difference? Everything should be pretty much the same, just a new domain. I'll just follow the steps you've sent and see what happens, I guess. I may be back with more qs though...
And I just spent the last 1 1/2 hours installing smf on the new webspace. Oh well.

margarett

If they are on the same host, just have them to copy files + db over accounts (if you can't do it yourself).
Then run repair_settings. And that's it. You don't need to do a manual copy (FTP and database dumps, etc) if your host can easily do it!

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

S Mac

OK, you mean I just need to upload to the domain via FTP ? Sorry, it's the only trick I know. And maybe go into my control panel and find the database and export?

margarett

The usual way is to pick your files via FTP and your database via phpmyadmin export.
Then go to the new host and upload the files again via FTP, then your database via phpmyadmin or other tool and finally run repair_settings.
This can take quite a long time...

If you're on the same host, you just need to ask them to transfer the content of your "old" service to the "new" one. Server-side, they can do it in minutes!

S Mac

I've done this myself...it took me hours. Anyway, I've managed to transport all the files and it seems fairly successful. But before I run repair_settings, I want to do one more thing. When I was uploading and downloading things in FTP, I created a folder called home. So instead of just thenaturalhairforum.co.uk, I've got thenaturalhairforum.co.uk/home. I've had this before but can't remember how I changed it. ?

margarett

Just move your files from /home to / and run repair_settings again ;)

QuoteI've done this myself...it took me hours
Yup, that's why I advised you to ask your host. It would have taken minutes ;)

S Mac

I know, I know. They wouldn't do it for me. It's a learning curve I suppose. ;) But how do I move the files? I'm using filezilla and it keeps saying that the source & path of the drop operation are identical. There are only 2 folders. Not sure how to change it.

margarett

When you access your space via FTP you *probably* get to a "root" folder. Inside there you should have a folder named "www" or "public_html". That's your webspace root. And the content here should show up when you access your domain.

Inside that folder you probably created a "home" folder and your forum files are inside it. So, you need to fetch that folder content to your PC, remove the "home" folder and re-upload the files, this time to your "public_html"

S Mac

I can't see anything that says public_html. All I see is the folder icon in the top right screen and /. I've just deleted that folder and I'm trying to upload it back to the right place. On my computer, all the files are kept in a folder called home but it just keeps uploading the folder so I get back to the /home thing again. I know this isn't strictly what I started the thread for...but help!

margarett

I can't imagine what you have in front, sorry :P

You need to upload the files without the "home" folder.

S Mac

Ah, think I've figured out what you mean. A combination of complete ignorance and being tired, takes me a while. This is why I don't meddle with my forum anymore...takes forever. I'll see what happens & mark topic complete if it works. Fingers crossed. :)

krittin98

which host?
certain file managers offer the option to directly cut and paste the files.
you may use that. It will work for you in seconds (depending upon the size of the forum)
And last, but not the least, don't forget to run the repair_settings.php file since the directories will change

Best Regards

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

S Mac

Advertisement: