News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Any way to centre the text in the mini-profile?

Started by Chris180, January 08, 2014, 12:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris180

I know how centre the text in the main profile, I just can't figure out how to do it in the mini-profile (the one to the left hand side of every single forum post users make).

I have a feeling it is to be edited in the "index.css" file, but I can't find where.

Any help and code appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

PhuriousGeorge

I believe you're looking for this:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1780

I can't confirm whether it works or not myself, it should. But if not at least it's a guideline if you parse the code.

Chris180

Quote from: PhuriousGeorge on January 08, 2014, 01:19:20 AM
I believe you're looking for this:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1780

I can't confirm whether it works or not myself, it should. But if not at least it's a guideline if you parse the code.

Thanks for the help, that is exactly what I am after :), but sadly I got this:

QuoteThe package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF.

I'm trying to find if there is another one of these out there up to date. Hopefully?

shadow82x

Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

PhuriousGeorge

Quote from: Chris180 on January 08, 2014, 01:24:32 AM
QuoteThe package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF.

Any time I get this, I unpack the zip file into it's own folder in the packages directory and it has always parsed fine after that. (when it's not a version issue as mcblaber stated above).

Chris180

Quote from: mcblaber on January 08, 2014, 01:26:04 AM
How can I install a mod that doesn't work in my SMF version? ;)

Thanks for this, it kind of worked. It centred all the text, which is amazing, however all the text styling, size and bold/underline etc disappeared, and the text is now really small. Hmm.. back to square one I think :(. I wonder if there is any out there that just centre without touching the styling and size etc.

shadow82x

Quote from: Chris180 on January 08, 2014, 01:37:09 AM

Thanks for this, it kind of worked. It centred all the text, which is amazing, however all the text styling, size and bold/underline etc disappeared, and the text is now really small. Hmm.. back to square one I think :( . I wonder if there is any out there that just centre without touching the styling and size etc.
After reviewing the modification code, I think it's safe to say it shouldn't have affected the actual styling of it. Did you receive any errors when you were trying to install it? There is the possibility that it conflicted with another modification you have installed.
Colin B

Chris180

Quote from: mcblaber on January 08, 2014, 02:09:34 AM
Quote from: Chris180 on January 08, 2014, 01:37:09 AM

Thanks for this, it kind of worked. It centred all the text, which is amazing, however all the text styling, size and bold/underline etc disappeared, and the text is now really small. Hmm.. back to square one I think :( . I wonder if there is any out there that just centre without touching the styling and size etc.
After reviewing the modification code, I think it's safe to say it shouldn't have affected the actual styling of it. Did you receive any errors when you were trying to install it? There is the possibility that it conflicted with another modification you have installed.

Hmm, no I didn't, strange.

I uninstall the package, however everything remained as-is, so wherever the code is, it's stuck there.

I then changed and refreshed to core (as I use a custom skin) and although everything was still centred, it all looked normal and correct. I then switched back to my skin (refresh) and everything was back to normal with the exception of the username not being bolded, which really does bug me.

Is there a code to bold usernames I can just create as a quick fix? I have been searching through the files (index in the css folder, and the index.template.php) and I can't seem to find the 'user mini-profile' area, or anything that mentions usernames, so i'm not sure what class to call upon as i'm new to this software.

I created a new thread to give it more recognition so any help appreciated, thanks so far :). - http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=516699.0

PhuriousGeorge

This is very strange. The guy here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=305321.msg2782699#msg2782699 had the same issue, they "updated" the mod, and two posts down his "issue" disappeared. The mod itself is really a VERY small change, and like mcblaber said, shouldn't affect styling at all other than centering.

I'd be interested in what you find out.

AllanD

Have you tried something like align: center; in the index.css under .poster.

ETA- I have text-align: center; in mine and that worked.
Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

PhuriousGeorge

Also, have you cleared your cache and used ctrl+F5 to refresh your screen?

Chris180

Quote from: PhuriousGeorge on January 08, 2014, 02:01:54 PM

Yes I tried that, no luck :(. Also thanks for the link above, looks like i'm not the only person to experience this with this mod.

AllanD

Quote from: Chris180 on January 08, 2014, 02:42:15 PM

Yes I tried that, no luck :(. Also thanks for the link above, looks like i'm not the only person to experience this with this mod.
This is why I did mine without the mod, I just altered the css file.
KnD Hosting

Chris180

Quote from: AllanD on January 08, 2014, 02:44:48 PM
Quote from: Chris180 on January 08, 2014, 02:42:15 PM

This is why I did mine without the mod, I just altered the css file.

The problem is, now it's installed I don't know what has been changed where. I uninstalled the mod and the code didn't disappear so it's stuck where it is, and I have no idea where that is. If anyone has any idea where it is then I can go straight there and alter the code to suit my needs. I know how to code in css, I just need to be pointed in the right direction :). I am very new to this software.

shadow82x

Well we can take a look and see what the mod did wrong specifically, and didn't remove the code. Attach your theme's Display.template.php here. I agree that CSS probably is the best approach to this, but the first step would be removing that modification code that screwed up your display.template somehow.
Colin B

Chris180

What a nightmare. I got it all sorted in the end though, thanks for the help everyone! :). For people searching this thread having the same issues this is how I sorted it:

First I did not uninstall the mod I originally installed, I simply deleted it via ftp (noob mistake), which is why the code was still present. I re-installed the mod, then stayed in the 2.0 emulation mode and uninstalled the package, this put me back to square one (default mini-profile/not centred).

I then went to the index.css file and changed the following things:

under the .poster class add the following:
text-align: center;

Then head to this section just below:
.poster h4
{
margin: 0.2em 0 0.4em 1.1em;
font-size: 120%;
}

and remove the line: margin: 0.2em 0 0.4em 1.1em;

then to this section:

.poster ul ul
{
margin: 0.3em 1em 0 0;
padding: 0;
}

and remove the line: margin: 0.3em 1em 0 0;

then to this section:

.poster h4, .poster ul
{
padding: 0;
margin: 0 1em 0 1.5em;
}

and remove the line: margin: 0 1em 0 1.5em;

and you should be good to go. Everything should now be perfectly centred. all these sections listed above are found right next to each other, so just search ".poster" and you should find them all. The index.css file will be in your themes "css" folder.

Thanks for all the help everybody :).

AllanD

KnD Hosting

PhuriousGeorge

Awesome, glad you got it sorted out AND went the length to let everyone know how you resolved the issue!

Cheers!

mulwa

am using a custom theme and i have
installed the mod without any error.
But the poster info has not been
moved to the top. And my theme don't
have display.template.php file. Pls
help, see the screenshot

Advertisement: