News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Split Forum Mod

Started by dougiefresh, May 27, 2014, 07:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenDen60

It might seem bizarre and illogical, but most members will use three to six forums.
Furthermore, the same database also serve my needs. ;-)

Falcomfr

Thanks you again dougiefresh :)

DenDen60

What would be the best way to copy the blank categories and boards in a split-forum?

Although my forums will be adressing the needs of different clientèle, geographically speaking, most of the categories and boards will be the same to start with.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
DenDen

dougiefresh

Quote from: dougiefresh on August 07, 2014, 01:53:44 PM
Quote from: jjqualls on August 03, 2014, 09:30:39 PM
Any way to easily copy subforum boards from 1 subforum to the others? Wanting to do several subforums, but the initial boards will be the same for each one and was just hoping I didn't have to do the same thing for each one.
Regarding this topic, I started a discussion regarding cloning a board here.  I have since decided not to pursue implementation of this idea, for many of the reasons listed in that topic.....  Now, if only the board information was needed to be duplicated (no content), then that is feasible.  But topics, messages, attachments, etc.....  I'm gonna have to say no to....

Kindred

Dougie...   Why not set the boards so they can be displayed in multiple subforums?  E.g. Board 1 is displayed in subforums a b and c. Board 2 is only displayed in b. Board 3 is displayed in b and c

Etc...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

The problem with that, I would imagine, is the implied having to reorder the boards.

If you have boards like that, you implicitly need to hold multiple sets of order for them, since board 1 might be in sites a and b, but you might want it at the top of the list in a and at the bottom in b - and that can't be reconciled without much larger changes.

Kindred

Well, yes and no...

You could just declare that the board order is fixed across all subforums...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

That's how it currently is and can't be changed easily for that reason.

Dealing with multiple hierarchies is a serious problem btw.

Consider: what hierarchy should be in the link tree?

DenDen60

I will read it and see if is easily feasible.

Like I said, in my case, they would be blank except for categories, board, sub-board and if necessary sub-sub-boards, but no messages, no attachments, etc.

DenDen60

Maybe I should just create a model using Excel and then import it with MySQL. Would that be better?

Kindred

not really...  doing direct imports into mySQL is a sure way to screw things up unless you really know what you are doing.
Слaва
Украинi

DenDen60

Even if it is blank categories, boards and sub-boards?

Arantor

Yes because the boards table is complicated in how it works - even I would be hesitant to do it and I've done *crazy* things with it.

DenDen60

Ok. Thanks. I will thus try to stay away from it.

DenDen60

DougieFresh, Host Papa support got back to me.

We use

• PHP 5.4.33
  • MySQL 5.5.37
and you use:

• PHP 5.5.
  • MySQL 5.6.20
Can this be problematic?

They ask me if there are other servers requirements needed for the module.

dougiefresh

Wow.... A whole conversation went on while I was away.....  :P

Quote from: Kindred on October 06, 2014, 06:56:12 PM
Dougie...   Why not set the boards so they can be displayed in multiple subforums?  E.g. Board 1 is displayed in subforums a b and c. Board 2 is only displayed in b. Board 3 is displayed in b and c
:o  I guess the simplest answer is that during my spare time, I've been fighting fires that have been breaking out on a few of my mods....  Time-consuming to say the very least.   :-[ The other answer I have is that I stated earlier in this thread that I would release a version capable of showing a category in multiple subforums for version 2.0.....  and I haven't started on that, yet....

Quote from: Arantor on October 06, 2014, 07:00:09 PM
The problem with that, I would imagine, is the implied having to reorder the boards.

If you have boards like that, you implicitly need to hold multiple sets of order for them, since board 1 might be in sites a and b, but you might want it at the top of the list in a and at the bottom in b - and that can't be reconciled without much larger changes.
Damn....  I didn't even think of that....  Something that I will definitely need to consider how to tackle....

Quote from: denden60 on October 06, 2014, 09:59:30 AM
Although my forums will be adressing the needs of different clientèle, geographically speaking, most of the categories and boards will be the same to start with.
I guess I could write something up for this mod, but it will be filled with warnings about order of posts and SMF's default sorting and how I'm not going to change that for the sake of this mod....  Make sure you read the topic I pointed you to in the last post directed at you, please.  You'll be filled in on the discussion......

Quote from: denden60 on October 07, 2014, 01:38:14 PM
They ask me if there are other servers requirements needed for the module.
I'm not aware of any "special" requirements of this mod.  On my localhost test forum, I run EasyPHP v5.3.8 on Windows 7.  It contains PHP 5.3.8 VC9, Apache 2.2.19 VC9, MySQL 5.5.15, PhpMyAdmin 3.4.3.2, and Xdebug 2.1.2.........

dougiefresh

@Arantor: The only way I can think to resolve the board sorting issue without messing the forum code up further is to add more columns, one for each subforum, and modify the queries to use the new subforum's columns.  For example, primary subforum would have the field "cat_order", while subforum 1 would have "cat_order1", subforum 2 would have "cat_order2", etc, etc, etc....

Arantor

Yeah, pretty much - and it gets icky.

dougiefresh

@denden60:  I'm updating the mod so that a regular install doesn't rely on the upgrade files at all.  It'll be with version 1.12, and that version will be fully uninstallable....  Hope this helps!

DenDen60

Dougie - never mind duplication. I will do it the long way.

Thanks for the 1.12 update.

Advertisement: