News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Split Forum Mod

Started by dougiefresh, May 27, 2014, 07:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenDen60

Hi Dougie,

In the Create new subforum form you have this option:

QuotePrimary Membergroup for New Users

How can we change this? Should we?

Streamlife

Quote from: dougiefresh on October 14, 2014, 03:55:45 AM
Have been offline for the better part of 12 hours.... I go to bed at 7pm CST.   I just logged in just the creds that you PMed me for the first time.  I'm getting the same error you got.  And no, I haven't done anything....

On my personal computer, I cleared the cookie for your website and was able to at least browse the forum, but I wasn't logged in....

Will be leaving for work in a few minutes.  Dunno when I'll get back, as we work until the job is done....

Ok Mister, Take Your Time and thanks for your effort Again. Just Advice me by pm or here to give you privileges at forum again, i make one back-up and i talk with my hosting about the Error Code "Internal Server Error" they are looking for it, i hope all work fine ;) i need refresh the page aroudn 10 times to Join.. sigh

dougiefresh

@Streamlife: Unfortunately, until I know what the problem is, I can't advise how to fix it....  Do you have a .htaccess file in your forum folder?  If so, try renaming the .htaccess file to .htaccess.bak and see if that makes a difference....

Quote from: denden60 on October 14, 2014, 10:56:14 AM
In the Create new subforum form you have this option:
QuotePrimary Membergroup for New Users
How can we change this? Should we?
You would first have to create a non-"post-based" membergroup, then you can change that setting.  As for "should you", up to you and your needs....  One membergroup can have access to only one subforum, while yet another has access to a different one, or multiple subforums.  Naturally, you can't make new users adminstrators, global moderators, or moderators....

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.14 - October 15th, 2014
o Fixed database installer by removing the "gathering information from subforum table" code...
o Converted admin menu changes into hook and removed changes from Admin.php...
o Modified news admin and loader code in order to create seperate news per subforum.
o Added "unreadglobal" action to see unread topics from all subforums.
o Removed "subforums" action because of multiple issues, including security issues.
o Modified calendar system to allow seperate events per subforum.

Falcomfr

Hey dougiefresh :)

If I understand I have to install 1.12 then 1.13. But when i click on "update now" the page will not load and idles.

Can you help me again ?

Thx again for this awesome mod :)

Falcomfr

I have try with 1.14 now (no error) but same problem my page idle again :'(

Maybe the problem come from my database ?

dougiefresh

Quote from: Falcomfr on October 15, 2014, 10:55:28 AM
If I understand I have to install 1.12 then 1.13.
Once you update to v1.12, you can correctly uninstall the mod.  So no, you don't NEED to upgrade to v1.13.  People with this particular server issue could uninstall v1.12, then install v1.14 if they wanted to.

Quote from: Falcomfr on October 15, 2014, 10:55:28 AM
But when i click on "update now" the page will not load and idles.
Quote from: Falcomfr on October 15, 2014, 11:32:43 AM
I have try with 1.14 now (no error) but same problem my page idle again :'(
What version of SMF are you running?  If you aren't running SMF v2.0.8 or better, you need to grab the Allocate More RAM (which is included in SMF v2.0.8 and later).

Quote from: Falcomfr on October 15, 2014, 11:32:43 AM
Maybe the problem come from my database ?
I doubt it.  If by "idle", you mean you get a blank screen when you press Update, then it sounds like the package manager ran out of memory....

DenDen60

Hi Dougiefresh.

I installed the new version and it has installed like a charm.

The only thing that happened is that after the install, it sent me to this page:

With this error code;

• 404 Page Not Found, Sorry! The page you requested is unavailable. Please use your browser's Back button, or go to the home page.
So I just went to the appropriate link and everything went well.

I will be testing the news and calendar options and come back to you.

Thanks again for your great work.

dougiefresh

Reupped a fixed version of v1.14 that addresses that bug report.  No other functionality changes were made.  Thanks for the bug report, denden60!

Hoodie

Hey Dougie,

I've been following this mod for a while thinking I should start building a forum again.  I've wanted this feature for a long time now and requested the functionality on a few different boards and occasions.  Thank you for making this and really making it functional.  I do have great interest in this feature below as well.

Quote from: Kindred on October 06, 2014, 06:56:12 PM
Dougie...   Why not set the boards so they can be displayed in multiple subforums?  E.g. Board 1 is displayed in subforums a b and c. Board 2 is only displayed in b. Board 3 is displayed in b and c

Etc...

Would the code from this mod (http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1024) be of any help to get this done as it's basically the same feature.  Hope it helps.

dougiefresh

Quote from: Hoodie on October 16, 2014, 01:44:20 AM
Dougie...   Why not set the boards so they can be displayed in multiple subforums?  E.g. Board 1 is displayed in subforums a b and c. Board 2 is only displayed in b. Board 3 is displayed in b and c

Etc...

Would the code from this mod (http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1024) be of any help to get this done as it's basically the same feature.  Hope it helps.
I'm not going to duplicate/use another mod's code in my mod.  First of all, it's disrespectful of the original mod author.  Second, I'm not sure, but you should be able to install both mods and they should work together..... abet not quite properly, as the Alias Board mod doesn't understand subforums  :P  (I guess I should make mods there, too :o )  Third, it's in the works....  Just having started on it yet....

DenDen60

Etc...

I fail to see how useful this would be.  :(

The goal of a sub-forum is to be able to get different forums but managing only one member database.

If I take my project for example, each forum represent a different geographical area. I don't see how this would help.

Furthermore, there is a "default" forum people go to to register. If some boards needs to be seen by all, shouldn't they be seen in this  "default" forum?

Kindred

actually, denden, what I listed was the primary factor when my company developed the first multi-domain - single install forum mod a while back...

they had a single install of SMF across multiple domains (not sub-domains, separate domains) - with a forum intended for the publication represented on each domain.  However, there were 3 or 4 boards which were general to the publisher, not the publication... and there were some publications that shared areas of interest.

so -
one login across the sites of any publication by this publisher.
one forum installation
different themes for each publication - even at the root of each "forum"
unique boards only on one of the publication sites...
shared boards across some (but not all) publication sites...
shared boards across all publication sites.

the company has since closed down or sold off all of the publications, so I can't show you a demo of what they did in action...

now, I just have to track down the archived code so I can send it to dougie...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Hoodie

Quote from: dougiefresh on October 16, 2014, 03:59:03 AM
I'm not going to duplicate/use another mod's code in my mod.  First of all, it's disrespectful of the original mod author.  Second, I'm not sure, but you should be able to install both mods and they should work together..... abet not quite properly, as the Alias Board mod doesn't understand subforums  :P  (I guess I should make mods there, too :o )  Third, it's in the works....  Just having started on it yet....

Definitely understood on not taking the code.  I wasn't saying that by any means.  I think it may have come across the wrong way.  What I meant was to see how he did the code for that mod to get an idea where to start if you hadn't already.  I was just trying to point you in the direction of a tool that does what the poster (and me) was asking.  Like I said, I appreciate the work you are putting in to this mod and I was just trying to help.

I understand you could do it this way denden but for the network that I'm thinking of building, I want just a few common boards that go across all sites.  That way they don't essentially have two forums that they have to keep up with.  Just the one forum that has all information right there on it.  It wouldn't be something that everyone would want to use but I think it would be a great feature.

Streamlife

hello back dougiefresh
You know mate, Since you update the New Mod ( 1.4 ) this one WORK!!!!!!!!! yeah WORK EXCELLENT am so so happy i Want To thanks you again For all Your Effort you do Day by day trying to give us the best, You work hard on each mod you made my friend, Thanks you one more time

sorry for not responding quickly, I was without light in home
http://i.imgur.com/spsAKuD.png
Best regards.

Falcomfr

Allocate More RAM doesn't work for me.

When i try to uninstall any mod i get this error (like 6000 pages of errors) :

Quotehttp://www.myforum.com/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=uninstall2;package=quick_spoiler.zip;pid=32
2: fread() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Fichier: /home/myforum/www/Sources/Subs-Package.php

Here  :

foreach ($files as $real_file => $file)               (!!!2809!!!)
{
if (!file_exists($real_file))
continue;

$stat = $file[1];
if (substr($file[0], -1) == '/')
$stat['size'] = 0;

$current = pack('a100a8a8a8a12a12a8a1a100a6a2a32a32a8a8a155a12', $file[0], decoct($stat['mode']), sprintf('%06d', decoct($stat['uid'])), sprintf('%06d', decoct($stat['gid'])), decoct($stat['size']), decoct($stat['mtime']), '', 0, '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '');

$checksum = 256;
for ($i = 0; $i < 512; $i++)
$checksum += ord($current{$i});

$fwrite($output, substr($current, 0, 148) . pack('a8', decoct($checksum)) . substr($current, 156, 511));

if ($stat['size'] == 0)
continue;

$fp = fopen($real_file, 'rb');
while (!feof($fp))
$fwrite($output, fread($fp, 16384));             (!!!2831!!!)
fclose($fp);

$fwrite($output, pack('a' . (512 - $stat['size'] % 512), ''));
}

$fwrite($output, pack('a1024', ''));
$fclose($output);

Thank you

dougiefresh

Wow....  Whole conversations went on during my absence...  Lemme catch up and I'll start replying....

dougiefresh

Quote from: Hoodie on October 16, 2014, 01:44:20 AM
I've looked at the code for the Alias Boards mod.  It would work just fine aliasing a board to another category, which is what it is designed to do.  But since it doesn't understand subforums, it wouldn't work for aliasing board to another subforum....  However, I've been doing some thinking on this and it may be possible to integrate the two.....  I'm waiting for a response from SleePy to my inquiry...

Quote from: Streamlife on October 16, 2014, 10:00:31 AM
hello back dougiefresh
You know mate, Since you update the New Mod ( 1.4 ) this one WORK!!!!!!!!! yeah WORK EXCELLENT am so so happy i Want To thanks you again For all Your Effort you do Day by day trying to give us the best, You work hard on each mod you made my friend, Thanks you one more time
Thank you for the update, Streamlife!  It is gratifying to hear that it works for you!

Quote from: Falcomfr on October 16, 2014, 01:32:20 PM
Allocate More RAM doesn't work for me.

When i try to uninstall any mod i get this error (like 6000 pages of errors) :
Obviously, your forum shouldn't be spitting out errors like that....  At this point, I don't know what to suggest to you, Falcomfr.....  Maybe a fresh install of your forum may be in order.

Quote from: Arantor on October 16, 2014, 01:48:36 PM
Um... no.

In a stock installation the figures are quite a bit out.

Category ids are tinyint(4) unsigned, meaning you get theoretical max 255 out of it.
Board ids are smallint(5) unsigned, meaning you get theoretical max 65535 out of it.
Topic ids are mediumint(8) unsigned, meaning you get theoretical max 16777215 out of it.
Message ids are int(10) unsigned, meaning you get theoretical max 4294967295 out of it.

Circumstances can mean these figures can be halved, however, but those are the stock limits. If you have modified them in this mod, I would be very, very careful if you have modified everywhere these limits are implicitly applied.

I would note that I know of an SMF forum with currently 70.7 million posts and none of these limits have been hit. Others, however, have such as an implied 65535/per day limit in the stats tracking.
Wow....  A little off base, I was... Thanks for the information, Arantor!

Quote from: denden60 on October 16, 2014, 03:41:30 PM
Now, if I understand what Dougiefresh, it really does not matter since, again, if I understand properly, the mod creates another instance of SMF.
No, this mod doesn't create anything but the APPEARANCE of another instance of SMF.  By restricting what is chosen by the database, I can effectively output multiple forums using the same code....  Keep in mind that it does NOTHING to prevent overloading the server.....

Quote from: denden60 on October 16, 2014, 03:41:30 PM
I hope I got this right. Otherwise, I will need to look at how to increase these maximums, especially the categories and the boards.
And I'm sure there are LOTS of places that such adjustments would have to be made.....

Quote from: Kindred on October 16, 2014, 03:47:01 PM
AFAIK, it uses the same database tables with additional fields to define what is displayed where...
You are correct, sir!

dougiefresh

Regarding Alias Boards mod: I've gotten the Split Forum mod to install alongside the Alias Boards mod.  My test case was to create two subforums, one category per subforum, one board per category.  Aliased board in subforum # 1 to primary subforum.  Result: A non-selectable board shows up, and produces a ton of errors because the board information isn't loaded because it's located on a different subforum....

Attached picture shows the result....

EDIT: One possible solution would be to load everything, taking notes of what subforum it belongs to, then unsetting everything that doesn't belong....  Not sure I like this idea, though....

Hoodie

Quote from: dougiefresh on October 19, 2014, 10:17:38 AM
Regarding Alias Boards mod: I've gotten the Split Forum mod to install alongside the Alias Boards mod.  My test case was to create two subforums, one category per subforum, one board per category.  Aliased board in subforum # 1 to primary subforum.  Result: A non-selectable board shows up, and produces a ton of errors because the board information isn't loaded because it's located on a different subforum....

Attached picture shows the result....

EDIT: One possible solution would be to load everything, taking notes of what subforum it belongs to, then unsetting everything that doesn't belong....  Not sure I like this idea, though....

Hmm, sucks to hear they can not be loaded together and something else will have to be done.  I appreciate your work on this and trying to get some kind of aliasing done.

I don't think loading everything and then unsetting what shouldn't be is the answer as that is a big load on the server and a hit on the page load time for every single boardindex load.

Advertisement: