News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

remake of old topic / making request more clear

Started by TheDragon, July 14, 2014, 10:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDragon

have a membergroup called NOVICE
I want them to be able to post in only ONE board

read all the permissions in manual
and am lost
. . . even read Margaret's GREAT suggestions / guess I have a mental block  ::)

Steve

Go to each of the other boards, click on permissions, and for the novice group disallow them being able to start new posts and reply to posts.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

Before that, you have to create a permissions/board profile.

You will need two...

One that allows novices to post and one that does not.
You will then go to each board in the modify boards section and set the board to use the appropriate permissions profile.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Now I'm confused.

If I go to any board and click permissions, all my membergroups are listed. I can go to any one of them, click modify and disallow the starting of posts or the replying to posts. I'm not sure why two new board profiles are needed ...

Kindred

Then you have a mod which allows you to do that... That is not part of the smf default installation.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Hmmm ... I don't think so but the attached is a list of my mods ...

Kindred

I don't see any mod that would do it,,, but I do know that what you indicate is NOT part of a default smf installation.

The only thing you can control from the board settings is which group can access/see the board and which permissions profile the board will use.   There is no option to set read/write by membergroup in the board settings
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

Oh wait! Each of my membergroups are ones I created. And on most I selected 'use unique permissions' so would that be it? And if his Novice group is the same, he should be able to do what I did, right?

Kindred

No.  The only way to set board level permissions in a default installation is with the use of profiles.
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

when you use the permissions link next to a board name, if a profile is not being used, you end up modifying the default set of permissions and not permissions just for that board.

TheDragon

got it to work
EXACTLY like I wanted
VEYR VERY VERY CONFUSING on HOW to do this
as is evidenced by the different answers above
(i will document my steps later - )

special thanks as always to my 'pal'
the 'MEAN ONE"

aka Kindred  :-*

his  hints sent me in the correct direction

found this link online
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/All_about_permission_profiles

also
from the above link
Create a new profile[edit]
If you have had a good look at all the profiles you've already got, and don't see one you like for a particular board, you can create a new one. From Administration Center » Permissions » Edit Profiles , scroll down to the New Profile section, fill in a name for your new profile, choose a profile that is close to what you want to Copy Permissions From as a starting point, and hit the Create button. Then check and edit the permissions for each member group in this profile.

THEN the trick was\
in each Board in ADMIN
click on modify
then edit the permission profile dropdown

above might sound SIMPLE to the Pros
but was tricky (for me) with permissions in boards and profiles and membergroups

Advertisement: