Register at one place and forum together

Started by Burke ♞ Knight, September 24, 2014, 07:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burke ♞ Knight

Okay, I have my own little free web host, and I'd like to integrate the forum register with its register file.
I want to make it, so when they register for a hosting account, they automatically get registered at the support site, which is SMF using Simple Desk mod.

I have the ability to edit the host's register file, but I am at a loss at how to get SMF to use the username, email, and password from that, to reg an account on the support site.

Note: The host is on one domain, support site on another, but same server.

I have absolutely no idea on how I would do this, and using SSI is something I have not done yet in working on stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

Kindred

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Category:Integrating_SMF

SSI is for using SMF functions and variables outside of SMF itself.

Hooks is for triggering another script to run in the middle of am SMF action

API is for sending data from another source to SMF

So---   if you are going to be doing registration through your other script, then you would use the API.
If you are going to do registration from SMF and pass it BACK to your other script, then use hooks.

If you just want to use SMF's member and permission system entirely, then use SSI
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Burke ♞ Knight

I'd like to have it, where SMF uses the username and password the person enters into the form for the host, for their forum account, as well.

I looked over the pages before, but am still unsure how to proceed on this.

I could just add 2 more fields, I guess, Forum Account Name and Forum Password...

Kindred

Well, form what you just said, it sounds like you should use the API functions.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Burke ♞ Knight

Okay, things have changed, and now the sites are all on one domain, using the forum with SimplePortal pages for the host pages.
Now, I need to know what would be the way to make it, so when they register for a hosting account, they automatically get registered using same username and password, into the forum.

SSI wont be needed, I'd guess, since it is all one site now.

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on September 24, 2014, 10:52:22 AM
Well, from what you just said, it sounds like you should use the API functions.
Слaва
Украинi

Burke ♞ Knight

Easy as that may be for some, it does not really help me, as the example given is to log them out, which is not what I'm looking for.

Also, The API will let you control SMF from your other system.
However, like I stated, the "other" system, is now in the forum, in a SP page.
Now, that should already have most of what the API adds, am I right or wrong?

Here's something else... The register2 function, which is what I'd need to use, I guess, is dependent on the registration agreement. Now, I know I can disable that globally, but I'd rather just have it bypassed for people who get registered when doing the hosting signup. For those that just register the normal way, I'd like them to have to deal with the agreement.

Kindred

wait -- are you using the SMF registration or your own custom registration?

I don't care where the "form" is displayed...   all that matters is where the code EXECUTES.
If the site registration code is not actually INSIDE the SMF code, then you should be using the API to link your site code to the SMF database.

Alternatively, you could use the SMF registration and then use hooks to pass the data collected by SMF over to your custom script...
Слaва
Украинi

Burke ♞ Knight

Unfortunately, using 2 registrations. The host uses a signup form, that does redirect to secure area off site, to finish.
I was just hoping there was a simple way to display register2 form onto the same page as my host signup form.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: