Moved domain name, used that php download to move paths now cannot uninstall mod

Started by Morthawt, September 09, 2014, 07:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morthawt

When I try and remove mods all I get is "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

I have done everything I possibly can. I have even manually chowned and chmodded so that everyone has access to everything to try and uninstall a mod. Nothing is working. My other site has no issue, it is only this one which I had to get that php script from the downloads section and put all the new URL's in.

Kindred

used WHAT "php download"?  Do you mean repair_settings.php? (if so, then please refer to it rather than "that php download" which could be nearly ANY file from the SMF repository...

Does your packages directory on the new server have a temp directory? is IT writable?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Morthawt

No and neither does my other very working forum have a temp folder in there. I hit remove all hooks thinking that it might release any mods that may have caused it and now my site is a blank white page...

margarett

You really shouldn't have done that :(

Your best bet is now to load a fresh set of files and reinstall any mod you were using before. This probably means also to restore your custom themes, if any...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Morthawt

So should I rename my folder, make a new one, put a fresh install in there and set it up with the same mysql details and copy my themes and mods in there and it would all work again?

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

and the problem was the lack of a temp folder.... the temp folder has to exist and be writable.

at this point, you really do have to do clean set of files, because your mods are in a 2/3 installed state...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Morthawt

Quote from: Kindred on September 09, 2014, 08:57:22 AM
and the problem was the lack of a temp folder.... the temp folder has to exist and be writable.

at this point, you really do have to do clean set of files, because your mods are in a 2/3 installed state...

My other SMF forum in a different folder for a different domain also has no temp folder in the Packages folder and I was able to uninstall a mod without issue.

Morthawt

Quote from: margarett on September 09, 2014, 08:28:36 AM
Not exactly --> http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

You should reinstall your themes and mods, not copy them back.
Thank YOU! I just needed to upload those files and I am back in business. I am progressively installing my mods now. Everything "appears" to be working. I will be sure to reply if I have any further issues.

Thanks.

Advertisement: