News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

facebook like private message(conversation)

Started by Osaugue, September 26, 2014, 06:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

live627

Arantor

;D

My day is now complete.

I can't decide what to call the Levertine version of Annoy User, but I know it's going to be fun to build, moreso than last time >:D

I might even leave the Iron Maiden jokes in for the second time iteration.

Antechinus

Quote from: Arantor on September 27, 2014, 06:51:55 PMYou have no idea the hellspawn I will be unleashing in that particular one. Lots of fun new evil ideas. For example, can we say:

body { transform: rotate(180deg); }

Hey come to think of it, other angles may be even more fun. Can you imagine what 107 degrees would be like? :D

Arantor

Oh, who said I was keeping it solely to 180 degrees? I merely ascertained that that was something I would have it do >:D

Antechinus

Oh dear. You could have it timed to oscillate on long pages. Or rotating forms at high speed. Or.....

Arantor

And you think these things hadn't already occurred to me? >:D

I have an entire *list* of things to add. CSS abuse is merely one of them.

live627

Quote from: Antechinus on September 27, 2014, 06:56:25 PM
Quote from: live627 on September 27, 2014, 06:47:56 PM
oh god :D

God has nothing to do with it. This is pure evil. :D
I know. >:D

Quote from: Arantor on September 27, 2014, 07:00:16 PM
Oh, who said I was keeping it solely to 180 degrees? I merely ascertained that that was something I would have it do >:D
Let's be truly diabolical here and make it spin. Oh yeah.

Antechinus

Incidentally, what's the performance penalty for running a mod like that? Presumably there's one simple conditional at the top level somewhere, then all the rest gets decided only if that checks out, but if annoying a sizable number of idiots who are infesting your site there must be some hit.

Arantor

The original mod's performance was crazy lean; no additional database queries at all, but the price was a lack of configurability - there was no set up for 'troll user x a little bit and troll user y a lot more', but that's something the new version will have. The performance cost of that is pretty lightweight since you can do things like pushing it to the session to avoid having to recalculate it.

In reality the worst offender in the old version was the 'pausing it for a few seconds' because usleep and sleep don't quite work the way PHP's manual says they should on some servers. Same deal in the new one for the same reason, though the extra punishments mean pauses will happen less often in general so it should work out a shade better.

If I said part of the plan was to include a spin - but very, very slowly...?

Antechinus

Osaugue

Arantor

Yeah, that's what happens. We already answered the original question with what's already available in 2.0 (and what you're asking for is unlikely to happen in any version of SMF, frankly) and then it sort of went off topic in the way forums do.

Advertisement: