News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Having problems when submitting a new topic

Started by B3aker, October 04, 2014, 10:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B3aker

I've been having a weird problem with my forum and I can't figure out what it is. Whenever I go to post a new topic and type it up then click "Post", it just says "Waiting for PSX4Central.com" at the bottom of my browser and never redirects. Even if I hit "Home" and go to the index of my forum, the topic does not appear. When I click on the subforum where I post the topic, the topic shows up. But if I log in as my testmember, it does not show in that particular forum that a new topic was started. The topic is there but it doesn't come up as "last post by...in....." or even the new post icon on the left on the index does not show that a new topic has been started. If I or someone replies to a topic, all is fine.

I tried optimizing my tables and error checking and nothing comes up. Any ideas? Feel free to log in and test it out to see what I mean.

http://www.psx4central.com
PSX4Central Since 1999, quite possibly the oldest PlayStation Community on the net

B3aker

Just another update. If I allow it to keep trying to post the new topic, I get a 500 Internal Server Error

QuoteInternal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache Server at psx4central.com Port 80

Could this be an issue with my host?

I also checked my error log and got these if it helps. Got this when I tried to post a topic.
Quote[Sat Oct 04 08:53:24 2014] [11133879] [fcgid:warn] [client xx.xxx.xx.xxx:xxxxx] mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 120 seconds, referer http://psx4central.com/community/index.php?action=post;board=10.0
[Sat Oct 04 08:53:24 2014] [11133879] [core:error] [client xx.xxx.xx.xxx:xxxxx] End of script output before headers: index.php, referer http://psx4central.com/community/index.php?action=post;board=10.0
[Sat Oct 04 09:10:16 2014] [11133879] [fcgid:warn] [client xx.xxx.xx.xxx:xxxxx] mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 120 seconds, referer http://psx4central.com/community/index.php?action=post;board=10.0
[Sat Oct 04 09:10:16 2014] [11133879] [core:error] [client xx.xxx.xx.xxx:xxxxx] End of script output before headers: index.php, referer http://psx4central.com/community/index.php?action=post;board=10.0
PSX4Central Since 1999, quite possibly the oldest PlayStation Community on the net

Ninja ZX-10RR

Definitely have a word with your host, it's for sure something on their side to me.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

B3aker

One of the admins at my site caught this. I wonder if this could have something to do with it? I updated to 2.0.9 thinking it would fix it. The admin also linked me to a topic from another member here that seemed to have the same problem as me at about the same time (and the same host too) but upgrading to 2.0.9 seemed to fix his problem. It doesn't appear that when I upgraded to 2.0.9 it updated all the files.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Doesn't really matter at all, it's a visual bug and has been indeed fixed with 2.0.9 but it has nothing to deal with the error.
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Oldiesmann

The "read data timeout" is the clue to the problem here. It's taking too long for the server to respond after you click the post button, so script execution is killed. The other error is related to it (the script execution is being halted unexpectedly).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

B3aker

Quote from: Oldiesmann on October 04, 2014, 02:05:13 PM
The "read data timeout" is the clue to the problem here. It's taking too long for the server to respond after you click the post button, so script execution is killed. The other error is related to it (the script execution is being halted unexpectedly).

I see. What should my next course of action be?

Oldiesmann

Contact your host and ask them to look into the situation.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Chalky

Typical Go Daddy problem, I had it all the time when my forum was with them.  Sorry  :(  GD will deny it, of course, they'll blame SMF, they'll tell you it's normal behaviour and then they'll try to sell you a VPS - but it's just them being crap.

B3aker

Quote from: Chalky on October 04, 2014, 02:32:30 PM
Typical Go Daddy problem, I had it all the time when my forum was with them.  Sorry  :(  GD will deny it, of course, they'll blame SMF, they'll tell you it's normal behaviour and then they'll try to sell you a VPS - but it's just them being crap.

Seriously. I've had problems before and that's pretty much what happened. I really don't want to contact them because it's a waste of time.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Usually you have to get through their so-called "level 3 support" and have the luck to find a good guy able to fix it - there are some good folks there but just a few, if you are not lucky  bug them until you will be :P

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

B3aker

You think maybe restoring my forum to a previous time would help? I have backups of the forum and the database.

kat

I doubt it, very much. It's not like it's a difficult thing for GD to do, either. A VERY quick edit to php.ini would cure it, in seconds.

They're just too pathetic to bother themselves.

Chalky

According to domain tools you have 5,378 other sites hosted on the same server, all vying for the same sparse resources.  Towards the end I was on the phone to Go Daddy for an hour every day, often in tears.  Eventually I resolved it by moving to a better host and I've never had a problem since  :)

B3aker

Quote from: Chalky on October 04, 2014, 04:58:41 PM
According to domain tools you have 5,378 other sites hosted on the same server, all vying for the same sparse resources.  Towards the end I was on the phone to Go Daddy for an hour every day, often in tears.  Eventually I resolved it by moving to a better host and I've never had a problem since  :)

Yup. I've been thinking of doing that. You think migrating to a new host will help fix my problem?

Chalky

Yep, having been through this myself, I don't doubt it.

Ninja ZX-10RR

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

B3aker

Well something I need to decide quickly then I guess. I don't get why everything else on my forum works fine but this topic thing is weird. Like it will go through but doesn't show on the homepage is was made or anything else. You pretty much have to look in the subforum to find it. Really weird to me.

kat

Well... There ARE some hosts who have the max_execution thing set to 30, as default. It's usually easy enough to get them to change it. Some free hosts can be a bit reticent in doing that, though.

Advertisement: