News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

empty newsletters

Started by bry82, January 01, 2015, 07:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bry82

Hi,
when I send a newsletter, either by email or by PM, people receive it empty, with no text in it.

When I announce topics it works fine.

Arantor

Do you copy/paste them from Word? Link to your website?

bry82

Quote from: Arantor on January 01, 2015, 07:29:23 AM
Do you copy/paste them from Word? Link to your website?

No, I didn't copy/past them from word.

It turns out some people get the newsletter/PM sent by newsletter and some people get a blank email/blank PM.

If I copy and paste the email addresses in the adavanced field (and I uncheck all the groups) it works fine.

I also noticed that the newsletter is extremely slow. It takes several minutes to send a newletter (either by email or as a PM) to the 150 people of the staff group. By it only takes a fraction of a second when I announce a topic or when I manually input the email addresses in the newsletter.

Arantor

The reason I asked about Word is because I'm expecting certain cases relating to Word's quote marks or special hyphens and various other things - if there are special characters involved, it can cause it to break. Word is just the most common - but far from the only - cause of this.

Fire & Safetyfora

We have the same problem but nobody can't help us till now. Even a couple off experts don't now it any more. I write about it in the big forum section on 18 december. Not everyone can read that section so under here there is a copy off my message. How can help us...???

topic: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=531370.0

QuoteHello,

We have a large forum with a big database from 1,5 GB. We switched the database from myISAM (standaard for SMF) to INNODB This is a view big steps forward and very good for the performance off the forum. It was a lot off work but we are happy with the results! We also switch the characterset from IS0-8859-1 to UFT-8 also a big operation.

We have done all this work because we can't sent a good newsletter with the forum. The problem is that the first two PM's the body is fill in to the database and the first two members received a good full newsletter by PM. This won't happend with the rest off the PM's, the body in the database is empty and members received a empty PM. It is not related to a special member or newsletter, this happend by every newsletter or group. The first two PM's are good the rest is empty. We deinstall all te modefications we use but the problem stay the same. We also set a hole new installation of SMF so we have good clean code.

I have no clou if this is related with the problem but maby the information will help u to solved the problem. The task optimalise database (tables) is also not runnig in the SMF software. I am not quite sure but about the same time this task stopt. I now that big forums has a problem with that and every week i do this by hand now.

A coppele off senior experts, how program every day, watched to the code and this problem but can't solved it. Even my host, how have lots off experiance with SMF, don't know what the problem is. He looked on the server en changed some maximum limets on the server but it won't solved the problem. We have three other forums running on the same server, the same databaseserver, the same forumsoftware and the same modifications. The are running fine and send good newsletters by PM, the only different is the size off the database. The are not so big!

We are now running SMF 2.0.9, the problem starts by version 2.0.6. We have this problem about 1 year now. How can give use the solution?

With happy greetz and very thankful for your help!

Bruce the Shark

Quote from: Arantor on January 03, 2015, 10:18:58 AM
The reason I asked about Word is because I'm expecting certain cases relating to Word's quote marks or special hyphens and various other things - if there are special characters involved, it can cause it to break. Word is just the most common - but far from the only - cause of this.
I had a similar issue with Word when copying and pasting it didn't show up on my site.
Now what i do is use an online text editor mainly google word doc and copy and paste the whole thing over.
It works good for me
Also if i need my word document to be converted to HTML i use an online tool.

Fire & Safetyfora

The best way to clean your text is copy and paste them in to a texteditor like notepad++. We make the newsletters in a topic (hide section) and copy and paste it to the newsletter function off the forum. Til version 2.0.6 it goes fine. Now he keep sending emty newsletters. The first one or two are fine, the rest is empty. Even clean the text and code in a texteditor wil not help to solved the problem.

P.S. thanks for your PM Bruce, we will search further and inform you... ;)

SpinningJenny

Hi,

I`m using SMF version 2.0.6

Today, I discovered I have the "empty newsletter" problem as described above.
Yes, I partly copied the text from a word document, but as Fire&Safetyfora mentions, it won't help  to use an editor in my version. Tough I did not try so I won't annoy my users any further.
Is there a solution in version 2.0.12?

Thanks!

"Jenny"

Kindred

well, for one, you need to upgrade for security reasons, if nothing else.

for another... don't paste from word...
Also, you can try updating your site to use UTF-8
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: