News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

A FEW users reporting that my forum is slow - What to tell them?

Started by sck, February 24, 2015, 02:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sck

I have a couple of users that are having issues with my site being slow for them.  All others are reporting no issues and the pages are loading instantly for me.  http://workingdecoys.net/workingdecoysforum/index.php

I checked the error log and there are no errors posted for this user.

here is the post from one of the users:

I am running Windows 8.1 with all updates.  Running the latest version of Chrome.  It took me 5 tries to get to this reply box, every other time the page hung up and did not render.  I also hang up about 75% of the time when just trying to read the forum.

The other day, I tried Internet Explorer on the forum to see if it was better.  It is version 11.  Internet Explorer gave me the same results as Chrome-- it hung up about 75% of the time.

I am in an experimental area for Time Warner and have extremely fast internet.  I am currently getting 120 Mbps download and 22 Mbps upload-- on my WIFI.  I am about 2x that fast on a direct cable to my router.

For contrast, here are the internet speed recommendations from Netflix to stream their media:

Quote from: Netflix

Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing movies and TV shows through Netflix.

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

I have 5 times the recommended internet speed from Netflix for their highest quality streams.

I have no problems with any other internet forums, Netflix, Facebook, etc.  It's ONLY this forum.  This is the only Simple Machines forum I visit, most of the others are UBB, and a few other smaller forum providers.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be causing his issue?  I would like to help solve it for him as he is one of the best members on the forum.  I posted a question on the forum to see if others were having the same issues and it does not look like they are so it must be something on his end.

margarett

To me it opens fast as a guest.

It's possible that there is some kind of network constraint between his end and your forum. Not likely as he seems to be in the US as you are but that's a possibility. Also, he should check with other internet access and/or other PC.

I see you're using Godaddy but if that was the case, other users would be affected...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

sck

I had problems with SMF and GoDaddy free hosting when I set up the site but those went away when I moved to paid hosting.  Now the only time I have issues with GoDaddy is when I "think" they are moving my site.  I will have issues for a day or so and then they clear up.  I have learned to just wait it out. 

99% of my users are in the US. 

Any thing he can do on his end if he doesn't have an extra computer to test on?

margarett

Just maybe to use a proxy or Tor... That should allow to test the network connectivity possibility...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

sck

Quote from: margarett on February 24, 2015, 02:55:21 PM
Just maybe to use a proxy or Tor... That should allow to test the network connectivity possibility...

Thanks but that is over my skill level and I am sure it is his also.

margarett

Advertisement: