A little help Upgrading from 1.1.21 to 2.0.10

Started by Topman, May 14, 2015, 04:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topman

It's not the size, but what you do with it that really matters"

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Topman

Thanks Bruno.
My forum is now running on 2.09 but............ some of the posts (mine) are empty!

They are listed in the totals but nothing is in them!
Also attachments missing so I am re loading the old attachment file.

I will need to do a bit of code changing to gett he layout etc the same.
Can I import the 1.1.21 css and index php files or do I have to recode them?

Looks like all the packages need to be re done buy I don't mind I was expecting that.

Thank you for your help.

margarett

Why 2.0.9??!!

Try with 2.0.10, it includes w fix for a (probably,  it certain) known problem.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

icodemachine

I think deleting and reuploading would do the trick

Kindred

Sorry, icodemachibe...  You have no idea what you are talking about
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Topman

Quote from: margarett on June 06, 2015, 07:30:49 PM
Why 2.0.9??!!

For some reason, I cannot download SMF forum files from the website.
I can download packages - go figure!
So I asked a mate to download them for me on his PC and e mail them as attachments.
The latest at the time was 2.0.09  - yes I have been trying to upgrade for that long!
So I thought I could use 2.09 then upgrade that through the Admin on the forum which always worked for 1.1.18 etc.
It is my fits job today.

Thanks again Bruno/Margarett for your kind help with this. and mending my database so it can upgrade,.

Topman

Oh dear!
I left the settings.php files in the test forum over the weekend!
I hadn't added my spam question filter mods to it.
This morning I noticed I have 22 new members" who have made 1200 posts in around 40 hours!

Why do they do this?
What do they possibly hope to gain?

Luckily for me I can just re upload the database and delete the current one.
My first job afater that will be to download spam filter mods!

margarett

:P

Spam is easy, automated and extremely cheap. If they get a single click for every 1000 posts created by bots, it's still a much better and cheaper result than "normal" advertising methods.

It's like the plague, really...

Topman

Quote from: margarett on June 06, 2015, 07:30:49 PM
Why 2.0.9??!!

I am not sure what 2.0.10 was going to do but the content in the posts was still missing, although any photos were there.
I have just spent half an hour going through the 10 pages of recent posts (100 posts) and have had to cut and paste about 11% that were missing.

The problem is without checking every single topic all 768 of them!  I wont know how many of my 1901 posts have written content missing.

Is there a way of increasing the number of recent posts pages/post displayed?
Is there a way of listing posts with no content?
Is there any way of listing posts with no content?

margarett

Can you link one of these posts with no content? And maybe check how they are stored in the database?

Anyway, 2.0.10 contains a patch which allows utf8mb4 characters to be displayed. I thought that this might be the problem, apparently it isn't...
It's strange that a post from 1.1.21 isn't displayed in 2.0.10, really is...
Maybe this?
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Why_do_I_have_partially_blank_or_missing_text_in_posts
?

Topman

Here is a link to one of the missing posts on the working 1.1.21 forum.
(I am keeping my 2.0.10 test version in maintenance mode whilst I sort out everything)

http://forum.brand-newhomes.co.uk/bovis-homes/bovis-homes-profits-up-69-per-cent-in-2014/msg2074/#msg2074

I don't think I have it set to UTF8 characters (or at least I havent set it to that unless is as originally)
but the existing 1.1.21 forum is.
As I said, I used 2.0.9 then upgraded to 2.0.10 so perhaps this should have sorted it.

Still would like to know if there is anyway I can quickly check all posts have content.

Illori

because you are using £ you need to convert to utf-8. try that on your 2.0 forum and it should fix the problem for all posts/topics. this is the same as the link margarett provided in the last reply.

Topman

It has now added an à as in £216,600.
I have also got ââ,¬Â¢ for what used to be a bullet point!

Topman

Upadte fro others reading this:
I re uploaded the 2.09 files to my URL webspace
Copied the database that Margarett kindly adapted for me to a new MySQL database number.

Used repair_settings.php for the new database
Save settings
Then revised the paths etc and saved settings.
Deleted the repair_settings.php file.

I then updated to 2.0.10 version.
I then added the MultiQA mod to stop spammers  - Yes do this early or you will be plagued!
I then set the forum to UFT8 characters.
I found that all the posts missing content was now back.
So finally all I needed to use search " £ "  to find all the post containing the rogue  and delete it.

So I have got there in the end. Its been a big journey.
I hope your upgrade goes much much more smoothly!

Kindred

you know...   questions are a standard feature in 2.0.x -- no need for the "multiQA mod" :)

I am very happy to see that your forum was finally able to upgrade.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Topman

I couldn't find this,  which is why I used this Mod which works very well.

Illori

all that mod does is extend the default feature.

Advertisement: