[FREE] How to make the personal text lenght longer

Started by Gherdez, July 03, 2015, 03:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gherdez

Hi, I'm not sure I'm doing it well so if I'm making something wrong I apologize.

Anyway, as the title pretty much says I need some help. I'm admin of my forum and I'm pretty sure I can solve this thing, I just need to know how to. I would like the personal text to be more longer. I mean, there's a good sentence I'd like to put but the white space gets filled and the sentence gets interrupted 'cause there isn't anymore space.

I've made a quick search and I bumped into this topic which explained it, but I'm not able to access that panel (sources/profile-modify.php) because I don't know where's located and how I can find it.

Any kind of help will be appreciated, thanks.

Steve

Do you know how to use ftp or your forum's cpanel?

If so, download the Sources/Profile-Modify.php file twice, once in a safe place and once to edit.

Find this:

'personal_text' => array(
'type' => 'text',
'label' => $txt['personal_text'],
'log_change' => true,
'input_attr' => array('maxlength="50"'),
'size' => 50,
'permission' => 'profile_extra',
),

Change maxlength="50" to whatever number you want. Mine's set to 100.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Gherdez

Thanks for replying. Not really btw, I'm not very very expert on these kind of things even tho I'm admin from over a year.

Can you explain step to step how can I arrive there? Or at least an easiest way.

Steve

If you've been an admin that long, then you really need to learn how to ftp (amongst other things but you have to start somewhere :) ).

Start here and use Google or whatever search engine you prefer to find out about anything you don't understand.

How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?

After reading this, if you still don't understand something, let us know. :)

Btw, that article mentions something about ftp not being secure but almost all ftp clients use (or have the ability to use) sftp which IS a secure way to upload/download files. I'll propose some changes to that page to the doc team.

margarett

But the server might not support sftp. Most shared servers don't...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Steve

Empire KickAss

My shared server does support aftp. But then it is a Linux server
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow .Thank You!!!

Gherdez

Illori

your host should still provide ftp access or access to your files via their hosting control panel. either way will let you do the modification posted above.

Gherdez

Advertisement: