News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] phpBB3

Started by JayBachatero, January 23, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hhmm....  At first, when I found all these many support materials and support boards for converting and merging forums, I was excited.  I'm investigating the possibility of bringing 2 different forums together.  One relatively large phpBB 3.1 and one relatively small SMF 2.0.15.  I would much prefer phpBB to SMF, but I'm only part of the team which is working on this, so it could go either way.  But anyway, after looking under the surface, I see that:

The last version of phpBB which can convert SMF is 3.0.  The SMF version is not known (or I haven't found it).  So, SMF unknown to phpBB 3.0. 

I have posted on phpBB support forum, for that answer.  It sounds like we would have to convert SMF (unknown version, waiting for answer) to phpBB 3.0.  And then upgrade to the current phpBB 3.2.

The last version of phpBB which SMF can convert is 3.0.  So far, I haven't found which version of SMF can accept phpBB 3.0 conversion.  So it's phpBB 3.0 to SMF unknown.

Does anyone know which version of SMF would be the result (using the converter in this topic)?
Would we have to downgrade the current 3.1 forum to 3.0, to make the converter work properly?

Thank you very much!

(Edit - sorry, probably should have posted a new topic....please move this if necessary  :-[ )

GigaWatt

I believe vbgamer45 posted in some other threads, about other converters (maybe even this one), that he's had a lot of success with SMF 2.0.12.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

brynn

Thanks GigaWatt.  But I don't understand what you mean.

Do you mean that when I get ready to convert the phpBB forum, I should have the 2.012 version of SMF installed?  (I haven't started reading through the wiki and other instructions in very much detail, yet.)

vbgamer45

Yes I would advise that then convert then upgrade SMF.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

brynn

Ok, thanks for everyone's info and comments.

Much appreciated!

vbgamer45

If you are converting from phpBB 3.0.x to SMF 2.0.x use the convertor found on this site below
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/converters/tree/master/SMF2.0/phpBB/3.0
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: