News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Cannot Upload Avatars on 1.121 forum

Started by Thorne, January 27, 2016, 07:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorne

Hi,
I am using version 1.1.21

Upon attempting to change an avatar image, I am getting the error message:

"The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved."

This is sadly wrong.  I can upload attachments to posts just fine, so the attachment directory is obiously writable.  I have the attachment directory set to 1 GB max, 1024 kb per attachment, max of 4 attachments, 4096 kb per post.  The attachment folder permissions are definitely set to 777. The size of all attachments in the folder comes to less than 100 mb, far under the 1 GB limit.  The avatar I am testing with is under the limits in both file size and image dimensions.

Before this error happened, I was getting another error when trying to upload a new avatar:

"Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow."

After several attempts of getting this message, the error message is now:

"The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved."

It has been working fine for 4 years on the same server... until it wasn't.

Please help.  SMF hates me :(

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Thorne

Sir Osis of Liver

Admin -> Maintenance -> Forum Error Log

- R. Waters

Thorne

thank you!  I checked it and it says the same error messages as I reprinted above.   Another member had also tried it several times with the same original error:

Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.

Please consult your server administrator for more information.

Though it then changed to the second error message:

The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

Thank you very much for any insight into this problem.

~Chloe

Sir Osis of Liver

Have you tried setting /attachments permissions to 755?  Some servers have problems with 777.

- R. Waters

Thorne

thanks I'll try that, though it has worked for years with 777 :)

Thorne

Sadly no, changing everything (files and folder) to 755 and still receiving:

The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

Illori

have you asked your host to look into it for you? have you checked to make sure the path is correct and actually exists on your server?

Thorne

I will ask put in a support ticket for the host, but yes I checked the path and it is correct and has not changed.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it a lot. :)

Chloe

Thorne

oh and DUH me!  The other error message I was getting:

was because I had actually changed the attachments folder to see if that was the cause, and forgot to change it back (silly me).  I put everything back the way it was, made sure the folder path was correct, and the error message has once again reverted to the original one I was receiving:

Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.

Please consult your server administrator for more information.

Advertisement: