News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF hyperlink to topic number instead of the full thread url?

Started by Wellwisher, May 31, 2016, 06:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wellwisher

How do you hyperlink to just the topic number instead of the thread url? Is this even possible?

eg:

[url=?topic,300.0]This cats thread is awesome[/url]

Wellwisher

nvm solved it:

[url=?action=;topic=300.0]This cats thread is awesome[/url]

Arantor

?topic= works just fine (needs the = part) though I'm guessing you're using the "friendly" URLs? (Which no search engine has needed in a decade...)

Wellwisher

Quote from: Arantor on May 31, 2016, 07:21:14 AM
?topic= works just fine (needs the = part) though I'm guessing you're using the "friendly" URLs? (Which no search engine has needed in a decade...)

Thanks, good tip. You mean Pretty URLs mod? No, this was merely to make sure when I donate one my databases to our community members, our "about-project" section links to the correct articles. I know it will by default but just in case.  :P

Arantor

No, I mean the topic,300.0.html thing, an SMF feature that should have been removed a long time ago as it causes problems.

Wellwisher

Quote from: Arantor on May 31, 2016, 08:32:48 AM
No, I mean the topic,300.0.html thing, an SMF feature that should have been removed a long time ago as it causes problems.

I never noticed it before, thus didn't know there was an option to turn that off. ;D Seems like google's only ever indexed topic numbers rather than topic.html. Where can I read more about the problems of leaving this option on vs having this off? Does having it off make smf quicker? xD

Advertisement: