News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Server Error when trying to login

Started by Mr Edd, December 29, 2016, 08:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Edd

This started last night, when trying to access SMF forum I get this error...

Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator at [email protected] to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have tried repairing the SQL database but no joy.  I can access through FileZilla but I cannot access any directory, time out. Even the public html folder will not open.

any suggestions please

Edd
I'd be Dyslectic if I could spell ti

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mr Edd

Still have this issue.  I contacted the hosting service and they said that they moved all their websites to new servers. (from Georgia US to the UK)  Now all my sites are working except the forum.  I have changed the name servers name and they said that it may take up 48 hours for that to propagate around the world.

I am not completely sure that the move created the problem. I think that the forum index page is not parsing. I have repeatedly repaired the SQL database in the control panel and the logs say its fine. I have backup the whole forum to my desktop (Linux Mint 18) so hopefully if I have to restore I can do this. But I don't know how?

Is there someway of doing a restore with SMF 2 and not loose any content. I run a writers forum and many authors have posted there work in progress whith many suggestions and comments so I don't wont to loose it.

Can anyone shed any light on this please? (see first post for error details)

Thanks

Edd

Sir Osis of Liver

Content is in the database, forum files can be replaced without affecting content.  If you have a good backup of forum files, just upload them and they'll overwrite existing files.  If you need help with this, I'll be on for a while tonight (NY time).
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Mr Edd

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 30, 2016, 12:58:40 PM
Content is in the database, forum files can be replaced without affecting content.  If you have a good backup of forum files, just upload them and they'll overwrite existing files.  If you need help with this, I'll be on for a while tonight (NY time).

That would be great, I am having Chemo at the moments and my brain is not functioning at its best. Besides I am 73 years old and that is taking the toll too.

I am in Florida so we should be in the same time zone.

Thanks

Edd

Mr Edd

Details of what I did...

I downloaded SMF and unpacked it on my Linux Mint machine. I then created a folder on the root directory of my website. I called it Forum.  I then copied and pasted all the files from the unpacked folder and pasted them in the forum folder. I then followed the instructions and ran the installation file. once it was installed I deleted the installation file and typed my web address with the /forum/index.php extension. The forum has been running very well with no issues until a short while ago I had a spam attack which you guys helped me to fix and thank you for that.

Then this happened out of the blue. I didn't know my hosting service were going to move the websites to another server. I have been using them for a long time and we have a very good working arrangement, he forgot that I am now in another time zone. He is in the UK but he used USA servers, he had some issues with them last September and that was why he moved all his websites including mine to servers in the UK. I think the database got corrupted during the move. But I am not sure if the name servers are pointing at the correct IP address.

HTH
Edd

Sir Osis of Liver

On now, Edd.  Link to your forum?  Can you pm ftp access?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Mr Edd

Mr Edd

All up and running like clockwork thanks to Sir Osis.

Edd

Advertisement: