News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Our Important Topics

Started by dougiefresh, January 25, 2017, 10:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.2 - March 28th, 2017
o Added admin option to control where the "Our Important Topics" menu entry is located.
o Added permission to view the important topic list.
o Added code to view important topic list if permission to mark topics is present.

@Portugal:  Hopefully, this update addresses your request adequately....

Last night before I went to bed, I figured out why I couldn't read the top menu labels.....  They hadn't been inserted into the array yet!!!!  AARGH!!!  Turns out the function to add stuff to the top menu gets executed WAAAAY after the modification settings stuff does....  Anyways, it's been worked around, so this feature now works....  Gives me a few ideas on how to rearrange the top menu in a mod....  O:)

dougiefresh

Quote from: Portugal on March 24, 2017, 10:57:28 AM
Another question, to translate this to other languages? What files i need to work?
All language strings are held within the language_english.xml file inside the mod.  Copy the file and change the filename you are adding the strings to.  For example, change this:
Code (Find) Select
<file name="$languagedir/index.english.php">
to this:
Code (Replace) Select
<file name="$languagedir/index.french-utf8.php" error="skip">
Yes, the error="skip" is important, as  with that tidbit present, the mod won't attempt to install those changes in non-existant files!  Translate anything to the right of the equal sign on lines that begin with $txt.  Once complete, attach the translation to this thread for inclusion into the next version.  Thanks!

Portugal

@dougiefresh you are "the master", very thanks, i will go to test it today, soon i will give you some feedbak... very thanks for your dedication.

Thanks

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.3 - April 6th, 2017
o Added temporary theme load hook to capture all top menu items.
o Moved buffer hook to Modification Settings code as temporary hook.

@Everybody:  By moving the buffer hook into the modification settings code, the forum should help the performance of the forum.  It's one of those after-thought things that I thought I'd address, since I haven't had much time to much of anything else....

Portugal

@dougiefresh ive attached the translation for Portuguese language. If have some bug please let me know to remake :)

Now im waiting for news :)

Thanks again!

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.4 - April 7th, 2017
o Included Portuguese translation provided by Portugal.  Thanks, Portugal!

@Portugal:  Thank you for the translation!  It's been included in this version!

Portugal

Thanks @dougiefresh i just say "Great" work made fr you.

Now just need a litle improvment the translation as i did dont works.... (i know its a a bad notice), but i already works a bit on it and i discovered whats the problem... and the problem is the word "tópico" (the "ó") i quit the ó and just use the o (without ´and it works), so just replace the "tópico" by "topico" and it works... and just other modification is the "portuguese_pt" instead of "portuguese". Sorry for the inconvenience... work team has this kind of situations :).

Thanks for your great work... really a valuable effort made for you!

Regards
Portugal

Quote from: dougiefresh on April 07, 2017, 05:22:43 PM
Uploaded v1.4 - April 7th, 2017
o Included Portuguese translation provided by Portugal.  Thanks, Portugal!

@Portugal:  Thank you for the translation!  It's been included in this version!

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.5 - July 11th, 2017
o Replaced IFNULL with COALESCE in database queries for better Postgres support.

ormuz

Question...

How can I display this in a specific place on my theme, or in a simpleportal block?

I want to use this to display one random (important) topic in a "ssi boardnews" style. Any suggestion on where to start?

dougiefresh

Quote from: ormuz on December 02, 2017, 10:29:14 AM
How can I display this in a specific place on my theme, or in a simpleportal block?
You need to create a forum link with ?action=important in it wherever you plan on placing the link.  So, if your forum is at hxxp://www.duh.com/forum, then the link would read hxxp://www.duh.com/forum/index.php?action=important

Quote from: ormuz on December 02, 2017, 10:29:14 AM
I want to use this to display one random (important) topic in a "ssi boardnews" style. Any suggestion on where to start?
This mod isn't designed to function like that.  But if you're insistant on using/abusing the mod to do so, then you need to call ITM_Topics_Count to get the number of topics; then ITM_Get_Topics to get the topic information, which returns an array of important topics.  From there, you can generate a random number between 0 and the number ITM_Topics_Count returned, and process that element of the array.

EDIT:  I guess I can write an SSI function to get able to get a random "important" topic....

-Rock Lee-

It seems very good that the modification and the fact that I was looking for something similar for my forum that I plan to reopen this week if possible 8) also you like the Spanish version, just tell me if something is missing ...

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

ormuz

Quote from: dougiefresh on December 02, 2017, 10:58:34 AM
EDIT:  I guess I can write an SSI function to get able to get a random "important" topic....

that would be great. Specially with a boardnews layout style ;)

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.6 - January 9th, 2018
o Added Spanish Latin translation, courtsey of Rock Lee!
o Added ssi_getRandomImportantTopic function to Subs-ImportantTopics.php.

@Rock Lee:  Thank you for the translation!  It's been included in this version!

@ormuz:  Sorry about taking so long with your feature request.  Hopefully, the newly added function will fulfill the feature request you asked about.

Since the Subs-ImportantTopics.php file is included when you call SSI.php or index.php, all you should have to do is call the function in order to get a random topic....

ormuz

thank you so much, you rock!

Snrj

Turkish Lang
index.turkish-utf8.php and index.turkish.php
find
?>
before add
$txt['itm_important_topics'] = 'Önemli Konular';
$txt['itm_no_important_topics'] = 'Henüz önemli bir konu yok.';
$txt['itm_unmark_as_important'] = 'Önemli olarak işaretini kaldır';
$txt['itm_unmark_confirm'] = 'Seçilen konuları önemli konular olarak işaretlemek istediğinizden emin misiniz?';
$txt['itm_mark_as_important'] = 'Önemli Olarak İşaretle';
$txt['itm_menu_top_level'] = 'Üst Menü';
$txt['itm_menu_under_level'] = 'Altında &quot;%s&quot;';
$txt['itm_menu_home'] = 'Nerede Gözüksün &quot;' . $txt['itm_important_topics'] . '&quot;';
$txt['permissionname_mark_important'] = 'Konuları önemli olarak işaretleyebilir';
$txt['permissionname_view_important'] = 'Önemli olarak işaretlenen konuları görüntüleyebilir';

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.7 - March 30th, 2018
o Added Turkish translation, courtsey of Snrj!

@Snrj:  Thank you for the translation!  It's been included in this version!

GL700Wing

I've just found a few issues in the 'ITM_Important_Topics' function in ./Subs-ImportantTopics.php that are creating invalid profile links for the member who started a topic and/or the last member to post in a topic (basically 'action=home;user=' should be 'action=profile;u=').

In the 'subject' column $user should be defined as follows:
$user = \'<strong><a href="\' . $scripturl . \'?action=profile;u=\' . $rowData["first_member"] . \'">\' . $rowData[\'first_poster\'] . \'</a></strong>\';

In the 'lastpost' column $user should be defined as follows:
$user = \'<strong><a href="\' . $scripturl . \'?action=profile;u=\' . $rowData["last_member"] . \'">\' . $rowData[\'last_poster\'] . \'</a></strong>\';
Note: This line of code had an extra '\' character after 'href=' that was also causing an invalid profile link to be created.
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.8 - August 15th, 2018
o Fixed 2 function definitions in ITM_Important_Topics function, courtsey of GL700Wing.

@GL700Wing:  Thank you for reporting the bug, as well as the steps to fix said bug.  It's been included in this version!  Thanks!

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.9 - October 23rd, 2018
o No functionality change.
o Updated documentation to point to new website.

landyvlad

Any screenshots perchance? Haven't seen this mod before and wondering if its something that would be useful for me for a new 2.1 forum. 
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: