Importer to display what's the current board post to main site's index.php page?

Started by Solobeverly, April 05, 2017, 11:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solobeverly

what I would like to know, after doing the googles and trying to search the forum here I haven't found it yet, is if there is a way to do the following.

Make a private board on the forum. From there, only the admin can see it and post to it. But then, once a post is made, it would export the post into the main index.php of the website.

How would I code an importer to the main side (not on the forum) and how would I set up the board and get it to export the post to the main site?

Please let me know if I wasn't clear in my request for help. Thank you!

~SoloBeverly

landyvlad

Quote from: Solobeverly on April 05, 2017, 11:45:33 PM
what I would like to know, after doing the googles and trying to search the forum here I haven't found it yet, is if there is a way to do the following.

Make a private board on the forum. From there, only the admin can see it and post to it. But then, once a post is made, it would export the post into the main index.php of the website.

How would I code an importer to the main side (not on the forum) and how would I set up the board and get it to export the post to the main site?

Please let me know if I wasn't clear in my request for help. Thank you!

~SoloBeverly

I don't think you are clear in your request.

I can't envisage exactly what you mean or what the point of that would be?!

When you say to the main index.php do you mean index.html ?

Or perhaps you mean the 'frontpage'

On this forum for example the 'main or community or index page' is http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php

Whereas the front page is  http://www.simplemachines.org/

If you are wanting to do posts and then show them on the frontpage that can be done with a Portal such as TinyPortal etc.

OR do you mean something else entirely?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Arantor

Yup, a portal is the way to go here, the problem is to be able to put content on the home page and I'm guessing the OP thought this was the best way to do it.

Solobeverly

Okay, so first I want to apologize for my late night ramblings in my original post. Now that I'm awake and had my coffee I should be able to paint a clearer picture. haha

To start, the layout of my site is like so

user starts on index.php (custom made by handcoding)
they then have options to go elsewhere on the site
Forums takes them to /forum/index.php

What I want, is to take the content from a posting in one of the boards, and display it on the index.php of the custom made front page.

here is a picture of my main page as well to help assist in the visualization. I have attached it to this forum posting.
*Please note, currently my website is in the basic design steps of html, however i will be switching over to php as soon as I determine if this is possible*

Kindred

Well, you would use ssi.php

However, you're going to gave issues with permissions, since smf won't display messages if the user doesn't have access to the actual board
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Solobeverly

Would a good way around it be make the board visible to all guests and users as read only as a "News" section, then push it through to the front page with the ssi.php?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Solobeverly

I assume that, with everything I've learned now, someone's done this before. So I'll search for a link to that, but is there a general resource/tutorial for modifying smf around?

Kindred

Read the wikinon ssi.php. and look at ssi_examples.php on your site
Слaва
Украинi

Solobeverly

Thank you! Will mark solved as soon as I get a workable demo going and explain what I did in my situation!
I appreciate your time!

landyvlad

I'm not at all familiar with ssi so I'll leave that alone.

Perhaps if that doesn't achieve what you want there may be a solution via RSS?  (Just spit-balling here, I really have no idea and someone with actual knowledge may be able to comment on that)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Solobeverly

RSS feed would be a good workaround. I would love for people to just be able to import it straight from my site to their own rss feed browser add ons. I still want to use SMF to do this though because I love the concept of using SMF to control every aspect of my site straight from the forum's admin panel.

Kindred

to populate the page as the OP indicated, SSI is the correct way to go.

RSS feeds would be  a hack/workaround...inelegant and unnecessary, since this sort of thing is EXACTLY what the SSI  functions are intended to do
Слaва
Украинi

Solobeverly

Quote from: Illori on April 07, 2017, 05:43:27 AM
possibly http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/XML_feeds may be useful to you.

this got me very close to what I wanted. However, I am unable to find a tutorial to take the feed and place it onto my front page. Any advice on my next step?

This hxxp:solobeverly.com/Forums//index.php?board=2.0;sa=news;type=rss2;action=.xml [nonactive]
is the url of the feed I want to import to hxxp:www.solobeverly.com/ [nonactive] after I revise my layout

Illori

you would need to find an rss reader, or as kindred said use SSI.php.

Kindred

Seriouslu..  rss would be used for external sites. SSI  is the proper functionality

ssi_recentPosts or ssi_recentTopics probably...   Maybe ssi_boardnews
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: