Deleting a theme - theme is NOT removed from server

Started by SMiFFER, May 16, 2017, 05:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMiFFER

I have my doubts if this is a "feature" or a bug, let me try to describe what I see:

I tried out a theme, and I did not like it.

When I now go to Admin »Administration Center »Themes and Layout »Theme Settings
and click on REMOVE, then I get
"Are you sure you want to permanently remove this theme?"

If I confirm, I would expect that this theme is not only removed from that list, but also from the server - which does not happen. I just logged onto the server and still see the files of the theme that I just tried to remove.

Is this a known bug?
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

SMiFFER

Let me add that I used 2.0.13 - until today - where this happened.

I have now updated to 2.0.14 and the described behaviour happens again
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Arantor

It's known behaviour, but every time it was taken to the team as a bug, it was always shot down with "what if you want to reinstall it?"

Illori

Quote from: Arantor on May 16, 2017, 05:16:51 AM
It's known behaviour, but every time it was taken to the team as a bug, it was always shot down with "what if you want to reinstall it?"

it has been fixed in SMF 2.1, you can disable and remove a theme.

Arantor

When did THAT get changed? Last I checked, that was the team who argued for several pages about renaming "child board" to "sub-board".

Illori

it has been a while, if i recall correctly suki made the change.

i dont know why you would want to disable the theme instead of delete it but you have the option now.

Steve

Quote from: Illori on May 16, 2017, 05:39:51 AMi dont know why you would want to disable the theme instead of delete it but you have the option now.

Because you might not want seasonal or holiday themes available to the members year-round?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Illori

Quote from: Steve on May 16, 2017, 08:56:31 AM
Quote from: Illori on May 16, 2017, 05:39:51 AMi dont know why you would want to disable the theme instead of delete it but you have the option now.

Because you might not want seasonal or holiday themes available to the members year-round?

there is still the main theme page that lets you select which themes can be selectable to members

Steve

But will disabled themes show up in that list? They shouldn't I would think.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Illori

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor on May 16, 2017, 05:32:24 AM
When did THAT get changed? Last I checked, that was the team who argued for several pages about renaming "child board" to "sub-board".

Might be somewhere around this time, https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=514149.0

Arantor

I don't remember that at the time - and at that time I was dev team...

SMiFFER

Let's not overthink or think it to death: Having the option is fair and fine with me.

All I understood was that I must wait till the release of 2.1 - and just another year has passed now.  :-\

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Originally, I do think this was intended behavior - it just removed the theme from the list of installed themes, but left the files intact in case you wanted to work on them still.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SMiFFER

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SMiFFER

Ah!!! :)

Well, let's keep this subject marked as solved then. Thank you.

lurkalot

Quote from: Kindred on May 12, 2018, 05:12:02 PM
That is correct.  This is FAD

I'd say it was more of a FID  :P

Especially as it's now been "been fixed in SMF 2.1"

SMiFFER

Advertisement: