News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Emails Not Sending

Started by I JaR oF JaM I, June 16, 2017, 04:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I JaR oF JaM I

Hi,

I have an installation of SMF installed on a XAMPP server here in my house.   For some reason, it's not sending emails (registration emails, etc).

Any suggestions?   Thanks in advance.
Death smiles at us all... All we can do is smile back.

Illori

you really should NOT be using xampp to host your forum with outside access, it is a great way to get hacked.

I JaR oF JaM I

So...   What would you recommend?

And also, do you have any idea about why SMF isn't sending e-mails?

Gluz

If you are using XAMPP, then you have to configure the php and sendmail to actually send the emails through some service.

Here is the basic explanation on how to do that, using a gmail account.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15965376/how-to-configure-xampp-to-send-mail-from-localhost

But as Illori says, is not a good idea to host a forum yourself, XAMMP works for testing local forums, to make the forum and then upload it to any host to go live.

If you want a forum for some friends and/or a few people, there are some free host plans that allows you to install a forum, or buy a host plan with any hosting company to run your forum there. Running a forum from your own hardware is only recommended if you know how to secure the network access to that server so it doesn't get any intrusion from outside, and that is high level server configuration.

I JaR oF JaM I

Advertisement: