2.0.14 BBCode Handling

Started by SMiFFER, June 25, 2017, 10:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMiFFER

SMF's way to handle BBCode is still not satisfying.
When I select the "Code" Tag, I expect that SMF puts there the opening AND the closing tag of that kind - as it is done on all forums that I know.

What I click on the Code-Tag in 2.0.14 only the opening tag for code is added.

Also another example is this: I am trying to add a teamspeak-server-link. The result does neither work.
Example:

I enter "ts3server://servername.com" and mark this and then click URL.

I _would_ expect the result to look like this: [.url]ts3server://servername.com[./url]

This however does not happen, the result that SMF meddles is: [.url]http://ts3server://servername.com[./url] instead :(

How do I do that under SMF? It works fine under VBulletin!
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Arantor

Not a bug. This is by design. The fact that the design is not what you like does not alter the fact that it is by design and is never going to be changed in 2.0 core, unlikely to be changed in 2.1 and you're best off looking for a mod for it.

SMF internally has a list of valid schemas for URLs, ts3server is not on that list, while http and https (and some others like ftp) are.

SMiFFER

Once more you insist on some very weird occurance being carved into stone.

If that is the case and you call it design, that's all okay. Your opinion

But how do you think about helping my demand by showing me --->>>> HOW TO POST A TEAMSPEAK-LINK IN SMF THAT WORKS
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Kindred

you would have to modify the url bbcode to process the string ts3server://s instead of http://  or ftp:// or mailto:
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

QuoteBut how do you think about helping my demand

I think that demands get met with stony silence because everyone is a volunteer doing it in their spare time and that given how often you ask for vBulletin features and compare SMF to vBulletin, maybe being on vBulletin might have been for the best.

dougiefresh

@SMiFFER:  First, I certainly hope that you meant "request", not "demand".  Otherwise, I completely agree with Arantor: Your attitude needs adjustment.  SERIOUS adjustment.

Second, I'm a little bored, plus this is an easy change.  So in Sources\Subs.php, find this:
Code (Find) Select
if (strpos($data, \'http://\') !== 0 && strpos($data, \'https://\') !== 0)
and change to something like this:
Code (Replace) Select
if (strpos($data, \'http://\') !== 0 && strpos($data, \'https://\') !== 0 && strpos($data, \'ts3server://\') !== 0)
Changing it to support mailto: is very similar.  You will have to change it in multiple locations in order to effect maximum effect.

Hope that helps you.

Arantor

Other changes are required, notably in fixTags to achieve the correct effect.

SMiFFER

Oh don't you be silly and blow up the word "demand" now. That's hilarious!
Replace it by request and go on. Or is this Kindergarten here?

Quote from: dougiefresh on July 05, 2017, 09:21:08 PM
@SMiFFER:  First, I certainly hope that you meant "request", not "demand".  Otherwise, I completely agree with Arantor: Your attitude needs adjustment.  SERIOUS adjustment.

No. It should be plain to see what I wanted to express: If certain guys do not want to help (!) and only talk b/s instead of helping the matter/request/demand (whatever word you put there is of no importance), they should not waste their precious time on making pseudo-intellectual comments and should rather shut up. Their ironic comments do not help at all !

As for me: I am asking to find a solution. Everything that does not help the matter/request/demand (whatever word you put there) is to be moderated away just because it does not help. Period.

If anything else is the attitude of this forum, then that should be adjusted. This forum is to seek and get help, not stupid answers!

@Doug: Thanks for your willing help. Appreciated much. Will try that out.

Kindred

SMiFFER - see... that's really your biggest problem.  Language and word choice MATTERS.  Even more so in our case because many of our staff and users do not use English as a first language -- so, while *YOU* may think that demand and request mean the same thing (and I assure you, as a native English speaker, and an English teacher, they do NOT) the rest of us see your word choice and shake our heads at your entitlement attitude...   (and no, this is not kindergarten, actual adults learn how to properly communicate in the language)

And telling people that "they should shut up" is only certain to prove your entitled attitude and discourage people from helping you at all.
In this case, *WE* are not the ones with the attitude problem here....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dougiefresh

Quote from: SMiFFER on July 06, 2017, 02:21:01 PM
Oh don't you be silly and blow up the word "demand" now. That's hilarious!
Replace it by request and go on. Or is this Kindergarten here?
No, the point is HOW YOU ASK FOR HELP.  Your acid responses indicate YOU are still in kindergarden, and I personally have no interest in helping someone who doesn't have the decency to POLITELY ask for assistance from the community!

Quote from: dougiefresh on July 05, 2017, 09:21:08 PM

No. It should be plain to see what I wanted to express: If certain guys do not want to help (!) and only talk b/s instead of helping the matter/request/demand (whatever word you put there is of no importance), they should not waste their precious time on making pseudo-intellectual comments and should rather shut up. Their ironic comments do not help at all !
Your statement illustrates the issue.  You don't know how to ask for help.  Kindred and Arantor has been here a long time and knows a hell of a lot more than me.  Arantor may be a bit brash, but neither of them make "pseudo-intellectual comments".

As for me: I am asking to find a solution.
I get that.

Everything that does not help the matter/request/demand (whatever word you put there) is to be moderated away just because it does not help. Period.
But good manners never hurt anyone.  And you've shown a rather gross lack of manners on this forum.  This community is a volunteer-based, no one here gets paid (at least that I'm aware of).  I sure as hell don't.  I make and update my mods for the hell of it.  We take time out of OUR LIVES to help others, whether it be with bug reports, mod requests, etc.  While I agree that some of the things stated on the forum forum-wide do not help, maybe things need to be stated that way in order to point the person doing the questioning in the right direction....

@Doug: Thanks for your willing help. Appreciated much. Will try that out.
You're welcome.  As Arantor pointed out, there are other places to fix to make it work fully.  But that code modification should work JUST in the [url][/url]-slash-[iurl][/iurl] usage (depending on where you put it)...

Arantor

Still might not work as it should require a change to fixTags as well.

Also, years of dealing with people like the OP in my spare time for little reward, but a lot of crappy comments and even threats, does tend to make me sour towards helping people in my spare time.

dougiefresh

True....  Since I've lost interest, I'm not going to help with this topic anymore, nor will I be notified of posts in this thread....  As it is, I'm ignoring SMiFFER, since he has such a bad attitude about his request/demand/blah/blah/blah....

SMiFFER

Cool heads everyone.

Re-read my first post where I just asked "How do I do that under SMF?". I cannot see why you accuse me of a bad attitude there. There is really no need to always escalate things and move the subject onto a personal level and then pull out the butt-hurt card. Why not simply keep it subject-orientated?

And look further than your table: There are persons unlike you guys who do not speak English as first language, so the discussion about one simple word is really ridiculous. I am giving my best.

I apologize if that has hurt anyone's feelings. Can we return to the subject then?

Let's discuss THINGS, not persons.

Arantor

I accused you of a bad attitude because it seems like every one of your posts is 'under product X this works this way, therefore SMF should also work this way', which makes me wonder if you like how product X does it, why not use product X?

SMF works the way it works for reasons. I accept you don't like the reasons why it works the way it does, but no-one here is obliged, no matter how you feel, to actually change how SMF works to suit what you want. Even if you stamp your feet and 'demand' answers, you are not actually entitled to anything but what others who have the time and energy care to give you, and when I see people complaining about 'SMF doesn't work like vBulletin', my sympathy does not like with people who want things how vBulletin works.

The reason why it doesn't work is for security, so that people can't just maliciously insert links into things and have them look legitimate - it's anti-phishing on a scale not enough developers actually do. As I've alluded to in this thread, it's not a simple change to adjust this and requires changes in multiple places - and the number of people who actually care enough to do this is AND have the skills to do it is probably approaching single figures at this point.

In any case, I also make it personal when you characterise something as 'a bug' when it isn't a bug. It is completely working as designed. It's just not the design you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it isn't actually a bug.

The bbc parser is a phenomenally complicated bit of software and prevents attacks that still flatten even fully patched vB 3 and vB 4 forums today against what's called a ReDoS situation. The changes you are requesting require some care to implement without breaking that.

Steve

As your original questions were answered and you (Smiffer) were the one that escalated the conversation there's no need to continue so locking ...
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: