remove password salt so that only md5 runs?

Started by kyle19208, October 19, 2005, 09:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyle19208

I've been trying for the longest time to integrate smf with another program, so far i have every thing integrated, and everything is running smoothly EXCEPT for the passwords.

i have the programs set up so that they're sharing the same table and have closed off registration from smf so that when a user registers through the first program the fields are automatically entered into SMF so that the user can go back and forth between programs without registering twice.

the only problem is that after the first login under SMF - the password becomes hashed and the first program which uses only md5 no longer recognizes the password and then the user can no longer login. Is there anyway at all that i can remove the salt/hmac and keep only md5 running under SMF so that the programs can run together?

---
i think i may have to just find another forum that uses plain md5  :(

Dannii

You should salt the other program. You won't find any SMF staff supporting any move to make SMF less secure.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Orstio

You'll also have even more issues down the road when you upgrade to SMF 1.1, which uses sha1 instead of md5.

kyle19208

do you know any websites that would give a tutorial on how to salt the other program? I tried looking on google myself but I couldn't find anything.

H

-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

HoTmetal

Quote from: Orstio on October 21, 2005, 07:14:18 AM
You'll also have even more issues down the road when you upgrade to SMF 1.1, which uses sha1 instead of md5.

sha1? Well, I haven't herd of that...

Helle sah1, my name's rickC>>>>>

Looks like I got some reading to do this weekend....hehe

ps  kyle19208 , what  is " the other program " you want to mix in? You might have better luck asking. I'm sure someone here as used it, or knows how to  integrate

Advertisement: