News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How do I remove the path on the top of my forum

Started by Dwev, November 09, 2017, 07:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwev

I'm testing SMF and things are going well.

But there's one thing that bothers me, on the top there's a navigation that's always visible (right now on this forum it's "Simple Machines Community Forum » SMF Support » SMF 2.1.x Support » Start new topic").

I'm pretty sure that there's a place where I can switch this off, but after looking for it waaaay too long already.
So I'm turning to all of you for help, because it seems to elude me.

Illori

there is no "switch" to turn off the linktree. for many they find it useful to have it where it is. you would need to modify the templates to remove it.

Arantor

Especially when in 2.1 if you're using 2.1, it contains the links for unread topics and unread replies, really useful features.

Steve

Personally, I couldn't stay on a forum that didn't have it. That (and the jump box) is how I navigate around.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Dwev

Ok, I'll keep it, and from now on I know it's called the link tree.

But that decision leads to a new question: my link tree is mostly hidden under my navigation of the theme on my test site: www.robert-benschop.nl/smf/index.php

Does anyone have a tip how to move the link tree further down, so that it would be visible?

Dzonny

Which theme is that you're using? Looks like your linktree doesn't actually contain links, but just text, for some crazy reason.

Dwev

The theme is called Morning: https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2872

The Link Tree does have links, but it's almost completely hidden under the menu.

Illori

there used to be an option in SMF Show current position in forum as link instead of text in current theme in admin, but for the most part this was removed over time. it may still work in this case.

can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are seeing?

you may be better off posting in the themes support topic to get help from the author.

Dwev

I've added a screenshot, you can see the Link Tree just sticking out on the bottom of the Menu, less than 10 percent visible.

And 'Dzonny' was right, Index in the Link Tree is clickable, but the rest of the Tree isn't.

Last but not least: I think 'Illori' is right as well, I just changed to one of the standard themes and the Link Tree works immediately.  :'(

Steve

Quote from: Dwev on November 09, 2017, 11:25:35 AM'Illori' is right as well, I just changed to one of the standard themes and the Link Tree works immediately.  :'(

Which means you'll have to do as Illori suggested, post in the Theme's thread for help. Morning
DO NOT pm me for support!

Dwev

I just realised that it's a problem specific for Safari, the Link Tree is visible in Chrome, Firefox and Opera.

Does that still mean that I should write this in the Theme section, or does the problem belong here after all?

Illori

you can try to ask the theme author to fix the issue but if it is only in safari it may be harder to fix.

Dwev

I haven't found the solution for Safari yet, but did get the answer to my original question.

If you open index.css and under .navigate_section ul you change display: block to display: none the Link Tree disappears completely.

I'll try to fix the problem later, but since this is for a Mac forum it's rather essential that it works right in Safari.

Sir Osis of Liver

Just took a quick look, the problem is in the div structure around theme_linktree().  You have to separate the linktree div so the stuff above it doesn't overlap.  Don't have time to tinker with it now, and can't see it in safari anyway, but look at the code in Curve, you should be able to modify the Morning theme so that part works the same in all browsers.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Dzonny

And still, that linktree will actually be just a a text with a names of boards-categories-topic, without actual link, which is nonsense IMO.
Shouldn't linktree(); be defined in Sources files, if so, this is custom-made function unrelated to default linktree, right?

Sir Osis of Liver

Nothing wrong with theme_linktree(), it's just buried in a nest of divs.  If you drop it below the header, like this -

</header>
<div class="container">
<div id="content_section">';

// Show the navigation tree.
theme_linktree();

}

function template_body_below()

it should work fine in all browsers.  Will have to wait for OP to view it in safari.

- R. Waters

Dwev

A friend of mine (who knows much more about css than I do) added the following code to the theme.css, now it shows ok in all browsers:

#bottombar
{
background: #ebedf0 none repeat scroll 0 0;
border-bottom: 1px solid #e4e6e9;
margin-top: -30px;
min-height: 60px;
text-align: left;
margin-bottom: 20px;
}

@ Sir Osis of Liver: thanks a lot for solving this problem as well, I'm actually curious which solution would be considered the best one.

Sir Osis of Liver

Simpler is always better.  The Morning theme uses way too many divs in the index header, but unless you want to do a more extensive rewrite, use whichever fix works best.  I've used negative margins, but they can cause problems.  Android browsers are especially fussy, if you have mobile users check the theme in android chrome, silk, and whichever browsers iphone uses.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: