SMF 1.1.x forum inaccessible after suspected PHP upgrade - How to access & upgra

Started by VintageTechSP, December 08, 2017, 07:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VintageTechSP

Hi there,

I've been running a SMF 1.1.x forum for around 8 years now.
For the past 2-3 it's not been actively maintained, but left to run as all was working well until the recent 5.x PHP upgrades.

About 6 months back I believe I needed to make manual changes to the underlying PHP code to stop errors displaying all over the forum with the intention to upgrade at some point.

As of October, it's now not allowing me to access the forum at all and instead giving me a 500 server error.
I only found out in December as the site is not really monitored any more, but it left 'up' as a source of information compiled by the users over many years.

The main/last errors I see in the logs are:

[03-Oct-2017 05:13:13 Europe/London] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/cpanel/ea-php56/root/usr/lib64/php/modules/ixed.5.6.lin' - /opt/cpanel/ea-php56/root/usr/lib64/php/modules/ixed.5.6.lin: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

[03-Oct-2017 04:19:14 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_magic_quotes_runtime() in /home/XYZ/public_html/forums/index.php:41

The hosting server details are:

phpMyAdmin: 4.7.3
Server type: MariaDB
Server version: 10.1.29-MariaDB - MariaDB Server
Protocol version: 10
Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
cpsrvd 11.68.0.19
Database client version: libmysql - 5.1.73
PHP extension: mysqliDocumentation curlDocumentation mbstringDocumentation
PHP version: 5.6.30

So two questions:

1) Is there any way I can get the forum operational again as it stands without doing major work.

2) Is it possible to install a fresh SMF (newest version / 2.x) and migrate my 1.1.x database in?
    If this is possible, would it keep items such as attached photos from the old forum.
    Also would mods I had on the 1.1.x system cause issue, things like shoutbox.

I know the first thing is going to be why did I not upgrade to 2.x a long time ago, the answer is simply the site worked...and I didn't have the time / desire to keep upgrading and maintaining...as like an old game system or car...it just 'worked'...but now, I just want to do what I need to do to get the data back for the users.

Arantor

SMF 1.1.x is not going to get patches for higher PHP versions.

Best suggested course would be to drop the 2.0.15 upgrade package on top of it (it'll do what it has to do to convert the database) and run the upgrader. Posts, attachments etc. will be kept, but you will need a new theme (unless you're OK with the 2.0 default theme) and to replace any mods you had.

Backup first, though through phpMyAdmin.

Sir Osis of Liver

Do you know the actual 1.1.1x version (look in index.php)?  If it's an early version, upgrading directly to 2.0 may not work, you'd have to upgrade first to 1.1.21, then to 2.0.15.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Anything past 1.1.9 should be fine, and that was 2009. Though note that an upgrade to 1.1.21 may not be easily possible due to PHP upgrade...

VintageTechSP

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 08, 2017, 08:58:42 PM
Do you know the actual 1.1.1x version (look in index.php)?  If it's an early version, upgrading directly to 2.0 may not work, you'd have to upgrade first to 1.1.21, then to 2.0.15.

Version:
Software Version:           SMF 1.1.21   

How can I upgrade, as currently I cannot access any of the forum including the admin pages.
All I can do is view the source files on the server.

I read I may need to create a new 2.0 site, and then somehow import the data in?

Arantor

You do not need to create a new 2.0 site - this is not the way to do it.

Upgrading SMF - the short version is that you go to the download page, grab the large upgrade package, all the files and then go to the forum to go through the upgrade process.

Advertisement: