SMF was unable to connect to the database

Started by bb99, December 26, 2017, 04:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Because most shared hosts don't give out command line access to their shared servers, simple as that. The number that do is really tiny, heck most don't even provide SFTP uploading yet.

Sir Osis of Liver

Just took a quick look, database appears to be intact, db settings are correct, reset user password no effect.  Only thing I see that's strange is db is listed as 0.00 MB in cpanel, it's reporting 43.4 in pma.  You have R1Soft in cpanel, which does daily backups and saves them for 30 days, but link doesn't connect.  The database is there, host support should be able to connect to it.  You can ask if db server is localhost, sometimes a server address is required, but don't see it in cpanel.

Going offline shortly, will be back on tonight and do some further tinkering.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Just Another Member

Quote from: Arantor on December 29, 2017, 10:48:26 AM
Because most shared hosts don't give out command line access to their shared servers, simple as that. The number that do is really tiny, heck most don't even provide SFTP uploading yet.

I was with 1and1 for several years. I always had SSH. They are clever and/or expert enough to prevent my wandering places I shouldn't be allowed to go. Chown and all that.

1and1 recently threw me a curve when they shut down FTP and forced all their customers to switch to something like WinSCP. In retrospect they did me a favor. Now SSH and WinSCP are two of my best work tools. Also note that SSH should be secured by something like RSA public/private keys. 1and1 forgot to do that. Suzy didn't. :)

Installing your own phpMyAdmin is the other tool I use, very important one too! I secured my PMA by putting it on the Dark Internet but that's a story for another topic. A good way to secure PMA besides the password method is via .htaccess (if you're running Apache) and lock it to some CIDR that contains you and as little else as possible. Then put it on a sub-domain e.g. mypma.example.com. Script kiddies probably don't know what a sub-domain is. Don't put it under example.com/pma/ ... I see accesses in my logs all the time with people trying to find a copy of PMA.

In fact when you get right down to it reading pathetic attempts in your log attempting to hack you can be quite amusing at times! :D It would be fun to set up a fake PMA just to mess with them. ;)

y the way, I just want to repeat that you can get your current database out of your MySQL server if your server setup isn't a front-end back-end arrangement with the back end on a different host. If your MySQL access is for localhost then almost certainly you can get your back up via command line, but only if you have SSH. Here is the basic command:

mysqldump --opt -u [uname] -p[pass] [dbname] > [backupfile.sql]

Note the space after -u and no space after -p.

Also this working depends on a lot of things I don't know about your server. It works fine on mine. The opposite of that command to load a .SQL fine into a database is this:

mysql -u [uname] -p[pass] [db_to_restore] < [backupfile.sql]

Also note that uname and pass can be either the database user's name/pass or in my case my root/pass works too.

Additonal note: the brackets are for example purposes, you do not put the brackets on your command line.

Please use the modify button, thank you.  Posts merged - Iris.

Sir Osis of Liver

The problem is in the database server.  I can connect to it with pma and mysqldumper, but all backup/export functions just hang.  Same thing happens with cpanel db backup.  Database is there and appears to be intact, last post was 8 Nov.  This is a host issue, there's no way to recover the database until server is fixed.

- R. Waters

LiroyvH

Off-topic posts have been deleted, kindly stay ontopic, don't attempt to hijack topics and follow staff instructions - thank you.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

bb99

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 29, 2017, 10:33:03 PM
The problem is in the database server.  I can connect to it with pma and mysqldumper, but all backup/export functions just hang.  Same thing happens with cpanel db backup.  Database is there and appears to be intact, last post was 8 Nov.  This is a host issue, there's no way to recover the database until server is fixed.

Now the problem is they dont know is their issue. Give them until 31 dec 2017, if still down i will just move all my site away from them.

It takes half a day for them to reply the ticket. Even reply also problem not solve.

Sir Osis of Liver

One of the worst hosts I've seen.  Cpanel login throws network errors, dead links in cpanel, database server is a disaster.  Take a look at Crocweb, moved to them over a year ago after 20 years with same host.  They're very good, support is excellent.

- R. Waters

bb99

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 30, 2017, 03:38:29 PM
One of the worst hosts I've seen.  Cpanel login throws network errors, dead links in cpanel, database server is a disaster.  Take a look at Crocweb, moved to them over a year ago after 20 years with same host.  They're very good, support is excellent.

Till now no reply from them. Hopeless ....

I need them to fix the database issue, at least I can move the site away , If not I will have to rebuild it from start. :(

7000 pages 3000 members all gone .

Sir Osis of Liver

The database currently on the server appears to be intact thru 8 Nov, I can see it.  No reason why they shouldn't be able to give you a copy, they have direct access to the server.

- R. Waters

bb99

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 30, 2017, 10:36:24 PM
The database currently on the server appears to be intact thru 8 Nov, I can see it.  No reason why they shouldn't be able to give you a copy, they have direct access to the server.

I ask them for the database and generate a full backup to the home folder and also to fix their database server on 30th of Dec 2017. Today is 1st Jan 2018.

No reply from the ticket at all.

My new hosting have successfully move my other 3 website to them with some database connections error but they fix it for me .

Only this one they are unable move and need the old host to generate a full back up to the home folder so that they can migrate for me.

Advertisement: