News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

EXPORTING from SMF- Users table

Started by qf i Leno, September 13, 2018, 12:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qf i Leno

Hey there!

We have recently finished the development of a replacement website. We're leaving SMF simply because it would take 10x longer to integrate our desired features than it would to start-afresh and develop a site.

Anyhoo, we have nearly 800 members, and really, need to export our users to our new database, though we're using a different system to encrypt our users info, which of course means they're unable to log-in if we import the as-is users table to ours. We have played with the idea of adding a specific pw reset function for this, but that seems to be a bit of an inconvenience to our users.

My question is, is there any way to alter the passwords or ANYTHING we can do to help make exporting a little less long-winded for our users and devs?

Thanks in advance :)
Joe

vbgamer45

You could try to integrate the same type of password hashing that SMF does for older users. And after they login the first time switch to the new format you are using.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

qf i Leno

That's possible, but then the issue of new accounts arrises. I'm not too sure what the best option for us is, it would be handy if there was an export system, but I don't think that exists :/

Kindred

Although I am unsure why we would be expect to provide support to help you move away from SMF. :P

However, aside from that - We will never discuss any method to decrypt the user passwords.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vbgamer45

Quote from: qf i Leno on September 13, 2018, 12:49:03 AM
That's possible, but then the issue of new accounts arrises. I'm not too sure what the best option for us is, it would be handy if there was an export system, but I don't think that exists :/

There is no way to convert the existing hash format. You an either set a new password for each user or do the method i mentioned above
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

affofficial

Use the new software's importers. You may have to ask somebody from the new software to do it for you.

qf i Leno

Quote from: Kindred on September 13, 2018, 07:22:38 AM
Although I am unsure why we would be expect to provide support to help you move away from SMF. :P

However, aside from that - We will never discuss any method to decrypt the user passwords.

haha, of course! It isn't a case of expecting it, though it is a nice bonus. Like a leave at any time contract, I suppose :P

qf i Leno

Quote from: affofficial on September 16, 2018, 05:29:22 PM
Use the new software's importers. You may have to ask somebody from the new software to do it for you.

We aren't using a software :) We're using a custom-build CMS designed to suit our needs.

Kindred

then good luck. :P

Seriously, we never discuss any way to decrypt the user's password.

Your best option is just to resat all users once you go to your new system and send them am email with their new password
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

affofficial

Quote from: qf i Leno on September 17, 2018, 04:32:14 AM
Quote from: affofficial on September 16, 2018, 05:29:22 PM

We aren't using a software :) We're using a custom-build CMS designed to suit our needs.
Normally when you move away and want to import to a different place you need to get their software.
For example if you were to move to xenforo you would have to buy a license, then upload the latest version of xenforo 1 which is 1.15.22, import your smf forum over to it, upload the latest version of xenforo 2, and upgrade.

Advertisement: