Security Question Regarding Bots

Started by njtweb, September 24, 2018, 12:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njtweb

Quote from: delta5 on September 29, 2018, 12:34:31 AM
Isn't there a setting for guests to do captcha before they can post? Also the stop forum spam.com mod will stop most spambots. I love it...

Yes, I do make them pass verification. No way I'd leave the forum open without security.

njtweb

Quote from: Arantor on September 29, 2018, 03:49:53 AM
Because apparently the users don't want to register, on the basis that registering is too much effort.

Most actually think the forum registration collects private information. I've got posts specifically saying I don't collect private information but they're useless.

GigaWatt

Quote from: njtweb on September 29, 2018, 08:56:08 AM
Most actually think the forum registration collects private information. I've got posts specifically saying I don't collect private information but they're useless.

And they give it out to FB, Twitter, Instagram, no questions asked... ::).

Why don't you make a thread that undeniably has hard cold facts about the above mentioned services actually abusing user information (this could be found on WikiLeaks easily). If some of them actually do read the thread (don't make it 100km long), they might pass some of that info along to their buddies, which could result in more people registering ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

delta5

Quote from: Arantor on September 29, 2018, 03:49:53 AM
Because apparently the users don't want to register, on the basis that registering is too much effort.

All you are going to do set this way is get live spammers. The only reason that i even allow lurkers to view is that Google will disqualify my site if i block lurkers and spiders from seeing the site.

Advertisement: