News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Go Daddy broke an 8 y/o 1.1.16 website & can't fix it - I have to

Started by The Magyver, October 08, 2018, 10:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magyver

SMF version: 1.1.16
Link: hxxp:saintstailgate.com/forum/index.php [nonactive]
...you won't see anything but a line of code; it's been there for 30 days. It's supposedly related to the code they inserted to bring the website down for my DB being a few hundred MB's over my 1 gig limit. The database is down to 42 megs but they cannot or will not fix it; that's about it.

Back to the issue at hand:
The thing is, I'll need a full copy of 1.1.16 in order to fix it by loading it into an unused domain, and then move my databases into it - at least that's the plan.

The problem is I can't find a download anywhere on this site, am I overlooking it?
Am I perhaps overlooking something else relevant?
I'm no "script kiddy", so all insight is appreciated.

I'll be 69 in 7 days guys - I need your help please. This was my 1st website, and I've got 8 years of love 7 hard work in it. It's a football forum, tonight is the Saints Week 5 game, and the site's been down all season.

You have my thanks in advance - Magyver

shawnb61

Archived versions can be found here:
https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?archive

Information on moving to a new host can be found here:
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Hosting_-_How_do_I_move_my_SMF_forum_to_a_different_host

You really do need to upgrade.  But one problem at a time...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb61

A clarification: if you follow the steps in the post above, and restore your file system & database from backups, you won't need the 1.1.16 archive.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

The Magyver

Quote from: shawnb61 on October 08, 2018, 11:30:22 AM
A clarification: if you follow the steps in the post above, and restore your file system & database from backups, you won't need the 1.1.16 archive.

Hmmm... Would rather do it an easier way if possible if I figure out:
1) what steps you refer to
2) & if you mean restore the file system and database inside the server

Possible Complications:
1) Go Daddy deleted the content in the sessions table to get the database size down, and they may have damaged it. By their own admissions they didn't have an SMF guru.
2) I also have find that "mysterious line of code" they inserted, the one that displays instead of my website.

I figured I better have an "undefiled" copy to use for a reference since I won't know what an empty sessions table is supposed to look like, and what the folder where line 703 is located is supposed to look like after I remove it.

==============  What I was writing when you made your 2nd post  ================

Great Shawn, thanks! Back in 2010 your own Masby joined the website and helped us a lot, but he's slipped out of pocket.

:-[  Had a stroke a few years back, messed with my short term memory but I should be able to remember how to add FPT client software and some zipping/unzipping software.

* Figured to download the SMF file to a 1 terabyte external, unzip it.
* Then do the same thing for my website for comparison purposes - I did it and tinkered around some years back, might restir some memories.

Question:
Do I send an unzipped copy of 1.1.16 into the new domain, and unzip it in the server? I think Go Daddy did it for me the 1st time, but I'll french kiss a cow before I ask for their help again.

BTW, you're right Shawn; I waited long enough to upgrade. If this works and I restore my website I'll need to know what PHP version I'll need  to run the new SMF version (but I'll lasso that pig when it squeals   ;D)

====================

I guess I better wait for a reply now, lol.  Thanks for your patience  8)

PS: Yes, I'll be moving Saints Tailgate and my 4 wordpress websites to a new hosting company in the offseason, so thanks for the help link.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Illori

Quote from: vbgamer45 on October 08, 2018, 12:10:14 PM
The sessions table isn't important and can be deleted.

the content can be deleted, not the table itself.

The Magyver

Quote from: Illori on October 08, 2018, 12:18:05 PM
Quote from: vbgamer45 on October 08, 2018, 12:10:14 PM
The sessions table isn't important and can be deleted.

the content can be deleted, not the table itself.

Got'cha Illoria, I'll still try to make sure the table "looks right" after they (GoDaddy) deleted the contents.

By the by Illoria, I saw you on another page this morning and recognized you from helping close to 8 years ago - back then Mashby helped me some too.

Was going to PM you and make sure I have thanked properly for helping out years ago.   8)

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't let GoDaddy touch your database again.  Do you have a good backup?  GD has two different backup utilities, one places a .sql in a backup directory in your account root, the other d/ls it to local.  Both are usually reliable, and best way to go in GD account.  If you need help with this, pm your GD user/pw and I'll have a look tonight.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Gary

It says that Insert commands are denied.

: INSERT command denied to user '[username]'@'[ip-address]' for table 'smf_settings'
/home/*****/*****/*****/*****/forum/Sources/Subs.php

Wouldn't re-granting all permissions to the DB restore functionality again?
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

The Magyver

Quote from: Gazmanafc on October 08, 2018, 01:19:24 PM
It says that Insert commands are denied.

: INSERT command denied to user '[username]'@'[ip-address]' for table 'smf_settings'
/home/*****/*****/*****/*****/forum/Sources/Subs.php

Wouldn't re-granting all permissions to the DB restore functionality again?

Sir Osis of Liver

User privileges are assigned when user is added to database.  I would create a new user, add to database, assign all privileges, update username and password in Settings.php.  It's a GoDaddy account, pretty much anything can go wrong (and usually does).

- R. Waters

LiroyvH

Or in cPanel -> mySQL Databases, click the username in use by the forum that should display right next to the name of the database. ("Privileged Users")
That takes you straight to the permissions/grants for that user and can modify them there. :)
Might save having to update credentials in the Settings.php.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Sir Osis of Liver

Worth a try, but I'd bet GoDaddy has somehow trashed the user and privileges may not reset.

- R. Waters

landyvlad

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

The Magyver

To shawnb61, vbgamer45, Illori, Sir Osis of Liver, Gazmanafc, CoreISP, landyvlad - Thank you all for the great advice; I turn 69 years old in 4 days & my gift from you guys may very well be my website back. I'll try to lay out now what I've learned since yesterday.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 08, 2018, 10:07:21 PM
User privileges are assigned when user is added to database.  I would create a new user, add to database, assign all privileges, update username and password in Settings.php.  It's a GoDaddy account, pretty much anything can go wrong (and usually does).

@ Sir Osis of Liver, I need to know if this applies to a fourth generation non-Cpanel 5.6 max PHP configuration - the last GD agent said my server has this.

Quote from: CoreISP on October 08, 2018, 11:46:30 PM
Or in cPanel -> mySQL Databases, click the username in use by the forum that should display right next to the name of the database. ("Privileged Users")
That takes you straight to the permissions/grants for that user and can modify them there. :)
Might save having to update credentials in the Settings.php.

@ CoreISP, thanks & this would be great but the GD man said I would have to migrate my website to a newer server to get C-panel, mine has 5.2 PHP.

Sir Osis, turns I do have a good database backup but they say it is "over limit' as well.
They say I'll have to download it to a hard drive, delete the session table contents and upload it back to use it - what they don't say is why I would need a new database.

They won't answer why they still can't restore permissions, so logic dictates that a newly restored database still won't solve the problem. However, I'll start that step today.

Now, what hasn't been postulated yet is why they leave that line of code in place, the one that displays when my website is called. Could it be that permissions were restored, the website was pulled up, and the horrified GD techs saw the site was trashed, so they revoked permissions again while the try to cover up their tracks?

*  Could it be that GD damaged the SMF software and won't tell me? ----------- My guess is that's fixable but I'll have to do it.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 08, 2018, 11:52:20 PM
Worth a try, but I'd bet GoDaddy has somehow trashed the user and privileges may not reset.

Sir Osis, was that what this means? Teleporting a new copy of 1.1.16 to my unused hxxp:fleurdelegends.com [nonactive] may be the last resort along with uploading that "refurbished" database backup. I'm thinking that would fix a ruined SMF and a ruined database.

I just now realized something relevant...  ...my forum first resolves to a portal, that way cool home page which was designed specifically for SMF. Perhaps that is all GD trashed, but they don't realize it, and won't admit it. It would appear that the true key is for GD to tell the truth.

I'll sit back now and wait for a couple/few suggestions, although I may call GD again and demand an explanation so we have more to go on. Thanks again guys.

The Magyver

Update:  Guys, the greatest thing just happened, my website just popped back up.
It wasn't there 15 minutes ago, but it is now...   :o

Thank you all so very much, I can't tell you how much. I will update to the newest version at the end of football season, which will necessitate migrating to a new server...    8)

All those who second the nomination to migrate my 5 websites to a non-GoDaddy server, please signify with a Vote of "Aye"...    ;D

Love you guys, thanks again  - Magyver

Sir Osis of Liver

It's down again, 403.  You really need to get off that server.  Do you have a local db backup (on your computer)?  GD has been known to trash databases so that they're not recoverable.  If they've been messing with the production db it may aleady be damaged, but don't think that's what's causing the 403 errors, more likely they've trashed your forum install.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Re-reading your earlier post, a few thoughts (such as they are) -

Quote from: The Magyver on October 09, 2018, 02:55:19 PM
I need to know if this applies to a fourth generation non-Cpanel 5.6 max PHP configuration - the last GD agent said my server has this.

Depends on what's running, basic idea is the same but may be implemented differently.  Looks like you're on one of their really old servers, could be cpanel clone or plesk.

turns I do have a good database backup but they say it is "over limit' as well.  They say I'll have to download it to a hard drive, delete the session table contents and upload it back to use it - what they don't say is why I would need a new database.

You won't enjoy manually editing a 42 mb database.

Now, what hasn't been postulated yet is why they leave that line of code in place, the one that displays when my website is called.

That's just a server error.

Could it be that GD damaged the SMF software and won't tell me? ----------- My guess is that's fixable but I'll have to do it.

The forum files are expendable, only the database is important as it contains all of your content.  You should upgrade asap to current version, which will require installing 2.0 mods and themes, so there's little to save from old install other than database, attachments, and graphics.

Teleporting a new copy of 1.1.16 to my unused Fleurdelegends.com may be the last resort along with uploading that "refurbished" database backup. I'm thinking that would fix a ruined SMF and a ruined database.

Fleurdelegends.com is also down (403), it appears your entire account is trashed.  If the database is damaged, and your backup is also damaged,  uploading it to a clean install won't fix it, you'd have to do that manually.  If you can get the account working again, you can do a clean install in a new directory with new database, import the production backup, run repair_settings.php, see what happens.  If the forum comes up running, you can upgrade it to 1.1.21, then 2.0.15, and move it back to it's original location

...my forum first resolves to a portal, that way cool home page which was designed specifically for SMF. Perhaps that is all GD trashed, but they don't realize it, and won't admit it.

A portal is just a mod, it modifies/adds forum files and database content.  Much worse things have happened to your forum than a damaged portal.

It would appear that the true key is for GD to tell the truth.

Yeah, well, good luck with that. :P

Can't be much help without having access to your GD account and seeing what's actually there.  No offense, but this is a job for a younger man (Sir Osis won't be 69 until March 8)).

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 09, 2018, 06:47:11 PM
The forum files are expendable, only the database is important as it contains all of your content.

Don't forget the attachments directory ;).

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 09, 2018, 06:47:11 PM
You should upgrade asap to current version, which will require installing 2.0 mods and themes, so there's little to save from old install other than database, attachments, and graphics.

That would be more correct ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

landyvlad

Quote from: The Magyver on October 09, 2018, 03:50:20 PM
All those who second the nomination to migrate my 5 websites to a non-GoDaddy server, please signify with a Vote of "Aye"... 

Aye x 1 million. :)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: