News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Membergroup as membergroup moderator

Started by SD-X, October 29, 2018, 07:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD-X

Currently in SMF 2.1.x, (and I believe SMF 2.0.x), you can assign specific users to moderate membergroups. What I would like to request is the ability to also add membergroups themselves as an option to moderate other specific membergroups. The reasoning behind this is because the "edit and assign membergroups" permission that allows users to moderate membergroups does not allow you to get specific enough with what is and isn't allowed, so if I want a membergroup to oversee and assign users to another membergroup, I currently can't do this directly. The only two ways around it are by granting the permission to edit and assign all membergroups, (which can be a security issue in my case), or assign specific users by username to the membergroup's moderation option, (which can easily become outdated if I'm constantly assigning and removing people to and from the membergroups that are supposed to oversee the ones under them).

SMF already has the existing design to support this. As far as I'm aware, it would just be a matter of adding in the missing backend code, and allowing the "Moderator" field of the selected membergroup to detect membergroup names in addition to the existing usernames.

Kindred

It is not as simple as you think..    but it's already part of 2.1
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SD-X

Quote from: Kindred on October 29, 2018, 11:05:03 PM
It is not as simple as you think..    but it's already part of 2.1
Awesome! Is this still in the works? I have a live copy of the to-be beta 4 from about a week or so ago and I can't find the option for it.

live627

Arantor

Groups as board moderators is in 2.1 but I didn't think group as group moderator was, though honestly I'm struggling to see the usecase.

Illori

Quote from: Arantor on October 30, 2018, 04:01:12 AM
Groups as board moderators is in 2.1 but I didn't think group as group moderator was, though honestly I'm struggling to see the usecase.

makes it easier to add users to one group and not need to keep updating the moderators for another group. i am pretty sure this existed in 2.1 at some point as well. now it seems missing.

Arantor

But then for a group you end up making a second group just to be team leaders. I'd honestly be surprised if staff changed so frequently that this is legitimately a major issue. QoL improvement, sure, but not a major earth shattering issue.

SD-X

Quote from: Arantor on October 30, 2018, 05:28:48 AM
But then for a group you end up making a second group just to be team leaders. I'd honestly be surprised if staff changed so frequently that this is legitimately a major issue. QoL improvement, sure, but not a major earth shattering issue.
In large communities where you may have many groups overseeing other groups under them, this can be. I'd prefer to be able to set the rights to a user of a parent group and just call it good, allowing them to have all of the access they need like they have with everything else in the permissions system. Needing to update their rights in multiple places can lead to mistakes being made, which can be a security risk in some cases if someone forgets to remove a specific user from having access in addition to removing their membergroup.

Although I agree that this isn't something incredibly common where a very large number of users will instantly begin using it, there are a small number of users that could definitely benefit from having this option available. I don't like pulling the comparison card either, but I'm seeing this feature more and more often in other forum softwares now too. (I love SMF too much to switch, though. :) )

As for your specific example, in a gaming community where I use this, the team leaders also have their own ranks and permissions, but oversee specific positions below them which have their own ranks and permissions too. With the access and rights I have to grant, it would be very risky on my part to focus on setting both usernames to moderate groups and assigning the same users to certain groups for the reason I mentioned above.

Quote from: Illori on October 30, 2018, 05:20:22 AM
makes it easier to add users to one group and not need to keep updating the moderators for another group.
Yes, this too. It massively simplifies the situation I'm presented with in my forum's permissions design if this feature exists.

Arantor

And therein lies the exact problem. This is a neat idea but it benefits the tiny minority, likely makes the system more confusing for everyone else (and the lack of audit trail becomes an even bigger problem)

We've seen enough of that already in SMF :(

Advertisement: