News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

deny board access

Started by Bigguy, November 18, 2018, 05:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

In the admin panel under "Forum - Manage boards and categories - Settings". What does the option to:

"Enable the option to deny board access based on membergroup"

do. ??? All that happens when I enable it is all the boards and categories disappear. I can't find any other options after I enable it to enable board access for anyone.

Arantor

It works like deny permissions, or it should do but it got rewritten recently.

The idea is that in 2.0 you couldn't make a Troublemaker group, which limits all their permissions and limits them to a single board, you could only do the permissions access, and that was effort. This way is much simpler if you want that.

Bigguy

Aah ok, thanks for explaining it to me. I guess I will leave that alone for now. :)

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bigguy

Ok, so this new problem might pertain to this but I am not sure. I installed a brand new copy of SMF 2.1 on a separate domain last night to check things out. I made 3 categories and 4 boards. One under the first cat(can be seen by all), two under the second(members only) and one under the third.(Admins only) The third cat and last board are not to be seen by anyone so I unchecked all membergroups for that board. When I log out I can still see the board. The Admin cat and board under it are not to be seen by anyone.

Bigguy

Somethin is weird here. Not sure how to explain it or if I even have to. I had all the settings right but now things are behaving as they should. It only took since I posted last above to sort things out though. Not sure what is going on.

Arantor

It still sounds like something isn't right, maybe cache related.

Bigguy

It could be cache related. I am using sqlite for cache.

Kindred

???  Sqlite is not supported in 2.1
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bigguy

Well 2.1 detects sqlite3 or something as cache so that is what it is set to.  Does it matter that I called it sqlite and not sqlite3 ?? (just asking)

albertlast

nothing wrong in general to use the sqlite cache (don't know if the smf cache would performane better).

Illori

Quote from: Bigguy on December 02, 2018, 12:49:55 PM
Does it matter that I called it sqlite and not sqlite3 ?? (just asking)

no it does not. Kinderd thought you were using it for the database instead of mysql.

Bigguy

@ albertlast: sqlite3 I think works better than file based caching.

@ Illori: oh ok, lol.

Arantor

Quote from: Kindred on December 02, 2018, 12:42:52 PM
???  Sqlite is not supported in 2.1

Not as a DB, no, but it is for caching only.

Shouldn't make a difference though, if it misbehaves when cached I'd argue it still has a problem when access is on the line.

albertlast

Quote from: Bigguy on December 02, 2018, 01:27:19 PM
@ albertlast: sqlite3 I think works better than file based caching.

the benchmark mod https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4155
could awnser this when you care about this.

Advertisement: