News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

"The upgrader was unable to find some crucial files." when upgrading

Started by natcip, February 17, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

natcip

*He

Yes, I already said it twice in this thread. Third time: PHP 7.0.

Bigguy

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

shawnb61

The upgrader looks for a very specific random set of files for that message (trying to confirm your themes & sources are where your settings say they are...):
- in your themes folder:  /index.template.php
- in your source folder: /QueryString.php
- in your source folder: /Subs-Db-Mysqli.php
- in forum root (where upgrade.php should be running):  /upgrade_2-0_mysql.sql (if source version is < 2.1)
- in forum root (where upgrade.php should be running):  /upgrade_1-1.sql (if source version is < 2.0)
- in forum root (where upgrade.php should be running):  /upgrade_1-0.sql (if source version is < 1.1)

I would first ensure that these files are present.

The next thing I would do is double-check the settings for your $sourcedir (in settings.php) and your setting for theme_dir (for theme 1 from your themes table).   If it can't find a theme_dir setting, it tries to make an educated guess that it's under your $boarddir. 

Everything should be working fine in 2.0 before you start the upgrade.  If you are having theme issues before the upgrade, the upgrade won't work. 

It might help to run the 2.0 version of repair_settings.php. 

An upgrade is overkill for moving from 2.0.11 to 2.0.15 - patches are simpler...

Hope this helps,
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Arantor

Doesn't it also need Themes/default/languages/Install.(language).php (at a minimum, English)?

shawnb61

It needs lots of stuff...   

But the check it performs that produces the error message above only looks for the sampling of files listed above. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

natcip

Thanks for the responses

Quote from: shawnb61 on February 17, 2019, 04:40:42 PM
The upgrader looks for a very specific random set of files for that message (trying to confirm your themes & sources are where your settings say they are...):
- in your themes folder:  /index.template.php
- in your source folder: /QueryString.php
- in forum root (where upgrade.php should be running):  /upgrade_2-0_mysql.sql (if source version is < 2.1)
- in forum root (where upgrade.php should be running):  /upgrade_1-1.sql (if source version is < 2.0)
- in forum root (where upgrade.php should be running):  /upgrade_1-0.sql (if source version is < 1.1)

I would first ensure that these files are present.
All of these files are present in the listed directories, however a "new" Subs-Db-mysqli.php doesn't seem to be included in smf_2-0-15_upgrade.zip. But there's already an older Subs-Db-mysqli.php on my server. Maybe that's causing a conflict?

The next thing I would do is double-check the settings for your $sourcedir (in settings.php)
The paths in settings.php correctly lead to the respective directories
$boarddir = '/home/www/name'; # The absolute path to the forum's folder. (not just '.'!)
$sourcedir = '/home/www/name/Sources'; # Path to the Sources directory.
$cachedir = '/home/www/name/cache'; # Path to the cache directory.

Quote from: shawnb61 on February 17, 2019, 04:40:42 PMand your setting for theme_dir (for theme 1 from your themes table).   If it can't find a theme_dir setting, it tries to make an educated guess that it's under your $boarddir.
Also in settings.php? There's none, but the "Themes" directory is in root where it belongs.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

natcip

It might help to run the 2.0 version of repair_settings.php. 
I just did that and my board was still set on MySQLi.
Like suggested, I changed it to MySQL and now it seems to be working. :)

shawnb61

Then the error makes sense.  It builds filenames based on the db type, so it was looking for:
- in forum root (where upgrade.php should be running):  /upgrade_2-0_mysqli.sql (if source version is < 2.1)

And neither of those files exist.   

Thanks for closing the loop. 

Advertisement: