Email Obfuscator

Started by Sesquipedalian, March 19, 2019, 07:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sesquipedalian

Link to the mod

Email Obfuscator

A modification for Simple Machines Forum verion 2.1 that obfuscates email addresses in order to protect them from being harvested by spammers. Real humans accessing your site with a normal browser will see the email address just like normal, but harvesting bots will see only some inline JavaScript filled with random characters.

This should not be relied on as absolute, 100% protection against harvesting bots, but it will help a great deal.

Settings

There is one setting, "Show a fallback version of obfuscated email addresses to users without JavaScript", which is disabled by default. When this option is disabled, users without JavaScript enabled will only see a message telling them that they must enable it to see the hidden content. When this option is enabled, they will see a fallback that uses various HTML and CSS tricks to make the email address illegible to a machine while still appearing to a human like a normal, readable address.

License

Email Obfuscator is released under the MIT License. A full copy of this license is included in the package file.

Email Obfuscator includes a copy of Base64.js, which is released under the BSD 3-clause License. Please see https://github.com/dankogai/js-base64 for details.

Changelog

Version 1.3:
  • Fixes a bug on the Profile page when the "Require reactivation after email change" setting was enabled.

Version 1.2:
  • More aggressively prevents search engines from indexing email addresses

Version 1.1:
  • Added Latin Spanish translation

Version 1.0:
  • Initial release
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

-Rock Lee-

Actually the logic seems very good, could you apply to the 2.0 branch this? I think it's very useful. Also I leave the translation to Latin Spanish @Sesquipedalian!

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Arantor

Or it could be incentive to upgrade to 2.1.

Biology Forums

This is well overdue! Excellent idea and mod.

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Rock Lee on March 19, 2019, 02:20:11 PM
Also I leave the translation to Latin Spanish @Sesquipedalian!

Thank you. I have added your translation in version 1.1. :)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Rock Lee on March 19, 2019, 02:20:11 PM
could you apply to the 2.0 branch this?

This mod uses several integration hooks that only exist in 2.1. That doesn't mean it would be impossible to backport this to 2.0, but it would be awkward and messy.

Quote from: Arantor on March 19, 2019, 03:21:17 PM
Or it could be incentive to upgrade to 2.1.

↑ Words of wisdom.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

-Rock Lee-

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on March 26, 2019, 02:06:58 AM
This mod uses several integration hooks that only exist in 2.1. That doesn't mean it would be impossible to backport this to 2.0, but it would be awkward and messy.

I suspect a little, well it would be another reason to upgrade to 2.1 although I'll wait until the gold version comes out. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

SD-X

Is this still working 100% in 2.1 RC3?

This mod is an amazing idea. If anything, this should be integrated directly into SMF as a core feature for security purposes.

Kindred

??? ??

security?

If someone posts their email address, how is that an SMF security problem?

Email addresses for USERS in their profile are already not exposed at all....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: SugarD-x on April 08, 2021, 01:00:59 AM

Sorry for the late reply. In answer to your question, yes.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

SD-X

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on May 27, 2021, 03:06:05 PM
Quote from: SugarD-x on April 08, 2021, 01:00:59 AM

Sorry for the late reply. In answer to your question, yes.
Thank you!

TurtleKicker

Any reason the mod page hasn't been updated w/ v1.2?

Diego Andrés

Package says it's 1.2
I'll update the mod page for him since Sesq is not around atm. Done

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Hello there, found quite the bug in this one...
Upon installing it shows black on white PHP at the end of the page in Profile Settings, specifically this:
") { alert('Since you decided to change your email, you will need to reactivate your account. You will now be logged out.'); return true; } }, false); var user_menus = new smc_PopupMenu(); user_menus.add("profile", "https://site/index.php?action=profile;area=popup"); user_menus.add("alerts", "https://site/index.php?action=profile;area=alerts_popup;u=33070"); user_menus.add("pm", "https://site/index.php?action=pm;sa=popup"); });No errors in the error log, upon uninstalling the error disappears.
Regards
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Sesquipedalian

What version of SMF, and what theme are you using?
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Ninja ZX-10RR

2.1.4, theme is irrelevant, happens on default as well but I'm on NameX.
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Sesquipedalian

I found the problem. This occurs when the "Require reactivation after email change" setting is enabled.

I have published version 1.3 to fix it.

Thanks for reporting the issue, @Ninja ZX-10RR! :)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Ninja ZX-10RR

Fix confirmed to be working as intended, thanks a lot! :D

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Sesquipedalian

I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Advertisement: